A Test Of The BSS Test

Meantime

I'm sorry Ricardo but a lot of boats were failed for having Hoses better than the standard, because they didn't have the relevant BS number on them, Including mine. Many boats had been fitted with flexible metal lifetime pipes to cookers and fridges and these had to be replaced with BS rubber hoses that need replacing every few years...
I also had to replace the air inlet pipe to the tank because it was to small, never mind with only a 1.5 engine and having been afloat for over thirty years it had been quite sufficient.
I also had to replace the fuel filter because it had a glass Bowl bottom.
I would have thought that glass bowl would have been better. Do they give you a reason why it should be changed?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

The daft bit about the glass filter bowl thing is that to check for water you have to let fuel out and bleed which has to be more likely to leave you with a bilge full of diesel than a glance at a filter bowl, and I'd rather be able to have a quick look at sea than have to let air into the system to check.

I know it's normally done safely moored up but sometimes things need to be checked underway.

Luckily my bss examiner let mine go with see through plastic filters, mind you there is a 2kg fe2000 auto extinguisher sat between them.

These things used to be called jam-jar filters because the were made from actual jam jars. These were banned because of the risk of shattering in the heat of a fire, but they were allowed if they had a special jar, made from Pyrex. Not sure if this is still the rule but it certainly was.

You can buy clear decanting filters which will pass the standard. Best to ask the examiner.

• Thanks 1