Boat Fendering

smitch6

My rubbing strake on my 26' broads boat is strange.....

it's actually made from fibreglass and is a hollow U about 100mm high and about 100mm deep,

so quite substantial.

only trouble is it's held onto the boat via roofing bolts bolted through the boat every 12" etc.

There are 2 of them also 1 about 6" above the water line and the 2nd in the usual place 

now, i am in the process of grinding off these bolts as they are all seized and have probably been on since 77 when she was built.

however...... getting to these blasted bolts is proving very hard actually in places impossible.

so i'm having to drill the bolt heads off from the outside and then grind off as much as possible and then poke the remainder through the boat and collect the bolt from the bilge hopefully.

These strakes are quit badly damaged in places, so i'm thinking replace with normal type that is attached from the outside.

Only trouble is having a boat 26' long and 10.5' wide there is about 20m in each stripe and having 2 strips that works out at about 40m at a rough guess.

rubbing strake is very expensive stuff at the best of times but having to shell out for 40 metres of the stuff is quite daunting.......

what depth would ppl recommend?

as the original stuff is quite chunky 

and anyone know of anywhere that sells the stuff cheap?

i have tried seals direct, walker rubber, wilkes, and i'm looking at a minimum of £800 so far at a rough guess