‘top Of The Shop’

YnysMon

Anyone else been watching this new series fronted by Tom Kerridge? I love it. Great to see people who have a real passion for creating unique ‘artisan’ foods showcased. So much dedication into what they are producing and real effort involved.

Helen

• Like 1

Is that the same as the one about teaching people to cook with ingredients rather than relying on ready meals all the time? I saw that one last week. Not sure I can be bothered to watch the whole series but it made me realise that even the relatively small amount of cooking I do is more than some people. For me it's all about time ... I've never been that interested in cooking but perhaps once I'm retired I will feel more inclined as I usually cook fresh food at the weekends.

Nope, it was a competition between artisan food producers. Each week there was a different category of food. First week it was preserves and spreads where a Mum and daughter Were offering runner bean chutney produced from home grown runner beans and another couple home made peanut butter with no additives other than salt. In the ‘baked goods’ week the four competitors were selling  sour dough, Japanese bread, Bavarian pretzels and vegan choc brownies. There was a bottled sauces week, preserved meats, drinks, and so on. They had two days to try to sell their goods in a farm shop  in Malham Dale and were judged on volume of sales, how good their marketing pitch was, whether their operation could be scaled up, and of course the taste of their product.

The final saw all the heats winners head to head selling their goods in a farmers market. I won’t do a spoiler and say who won.

Part of the charm of the series was the portrayal of Malham Dale as a lovely community with some great local characters popping up as regular customers.

• Like 1