Berlin Here We Come.

Tomorrow, Marina and I are off to Berlin for a long weekend. We last went two years ago ,on our anniversary (40).Marinas mum was from Berlin coming to England just after the war.So for Marina a bit like home.Very much looking forward to it.Berlin has changed,not least my first visit the wall was up now thankfully gone.looks like the weather should be good.I will post photos along the way.

• Like 3

We have been in Berlin a number of hours.Just got back from a walkabout,and a spot of lunch. Will go back out later.Its daily warm.They saw it's a small world,this morning at Heathrow, a couple sat next to us.He was English she from,Croatia.They were heading home.Wednesday they were in Oulton broad and Lowestoft. Considering it's the biggest Airport in the UK,surprising.

20190621_165104.jpg

• Like 1

Yet again nice hot day.This morning we went to Potsdam.A great day really is worth a visit. Lots of boats on the river,which runs from Berlin to the sea.Getting back this afternoon, some bad news,one of our cats not very well.our daughter took her to the vets.She seems to be after a number of tests okay. Tomorrow hope to visit the DDR museum ,sea life centre and the Brandenburger tor .Some pics.

Marina,with a funny drink.Potsdam,

20190622_204211.jpg

20190622_130449.jpg

20190622_130502.jpg

• Thanks 1

⁸Yet again nice hot day.This morning we went to Potsdam.A great day really is worth a visit. Lots of boats on the river,which runs from Berlin to the sea.Getting back this afternoon, some bad news,one of our cats not very well.our daughter took her to the vets.She seems to be after a number of tests okay. Tomorrow hope to visit the DDR museum ,sea life centre and the Brandenburger tor .Some pics.

Marina,with a funny drink.Potsdam,

12 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

⁸Yet again nice hot day.This morning we went to Potsdam.A great day really is worth a visit. Lots of boats on the river,which runs from Berlin to the sea.Getting back this afternoon, some bad news,one of our cats not very well.our daughter took her to the vets.She seems to be after a number of tests okay. Tomorrow hope to visit the DDR museum ,sea life centre and the Brandenburger tor .Some pics.

I very much enjoyed the DDR museum on a visit last year. It should be a bit less crowded now than it was in August. A rather quirky museum but fascinating, especially the reconstruction of a DDR-era apartment.

Not long back  from,a busy day.We started at Brandenburg tor then the Holocaust Memorial. Very moving.A striking fact.If you were to recount the stories of almost six million. It would take almost seven years to tell there stories. Lunch sitting by the river then the DDR museum and sea life centre.Later out for dinner.

Brandenburg tor,then the photos of the Holocaust Memorial. 

20190623_111505.jpg

20190623_112316.jpg

20190623_123330.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I visited Berlin a number of times  as a child. We would stay in a caravan on RAF Gatow and then the Military Hotel Edinburgh House on Theodor Heuss Platz.  I even spent a week staying in a youth hostel inside the Olympic Stadium.  The dorms were in rooms under the upper level seating.

Berlin is a fascinating city I must revisit at some point, I can still remember standing on the site of the old Spandau Prison after it had been demolished then going back a while later to see the new Britannia Centre  having been built on the site.  

• Like 1

Although I don't live that far from Berlin (we live on the Northwest outskirts of Hamburg) I have only been to Berlin a couple of times.  A few times before the wall fell; the last time was to the Deutscher Segelfliegertag at the end of October 2016 where I was lucky to find my way there & back through the rail & underground systems.

Can't say Berlin is my favourite city - can get rather hot & sticky (& thundery) in the Summer.

Sadly our last night in Berlin.Has been busy packing a lot in, very hot.We have enjoyed it ,have met some interesting people, Brits and Germans.We hope to return in two years.If you've not been here give it a go.Very interesting city.As I said Marina's mum came from here.

5 minutes ago, HEM said:

Although I don't live that far from Berlin (we live on the Northwest outskirts of Hamburg) I have only been to Berlin a couple of times.  A few times before the wall fell; the last time was to the Deutscher Segelfliegertag at the end of October 2016 where I was lucky to find my way there & back through the rail & underground systems.

Can't say Berlin is my favourite city - can get rather hot & sticky (& thundery) in the Summer.

Yes it is very hot two years ago,the weather wasn't great.Marina's Uncle lived in Hamberg.Not been there for many years,we just seem to love Berlin.Today we were thinking aloud and have decided to come back in two years.