Sutton Bridge A17 To Close For 6 Weeks

DAVIDH

we have been travelling from our home in durham to norfolk for 40 years and tried every possible route and byway

according to google maps, from our postcode to wayford the A11 to cambridge, A14 to huntingdon then north on the A1 is

12 miles longer but 2 minutes quicker than  swaffham, kings lynn newark via the A17,  the only downside with the cambridge route 

is the road works on the A14 which can be a pain, depending which day you travel and the time you reach the road works

we have tried  the A47  via peterbro and found it ok, again depending on time and day

27 minutes ago, gancanny said:

we have been travelling from our home in durham to norfolk for 40 years and tried every possible route and byway

according to google maps, from our postcode to wayford the A11 to cambridge, A14 to huntingdon then north on the A1 is

12 miles longer but 2 minutes quicker than  swaffham, kings lynn newark via the A17,  the only downside with the cambridge route 

is the road works on the A14 which can be a pain, depending which day you travel and the time you reach the road works

we have tried  the A47  via peterbro and found it ok, again depending on time and day

Don't do google and sat navs and after dragging HGVs all over the country for 40+ years, without checking I think that would be the longest 12 miles I've ever driven

i also had a lifetime driving class 1 hgv and probably wouldnt go that way with a lorry but have used the network around east anglia hundreds of times and found it ok in the car, after all i am not being pestered by a traffic office or some pen pushing load planner to get there asap

i for one have spent long spells at sutton bridge when repairs were taking place a good few years back and not very pleasant

1 hour ago, gancanny said:

i also had a lifetime driving class 1 hgv and probably wouldnt go that way with a lorry but have used the network around east anglia hundreds of times and found it ok in the car, after all i am not being pestered by a traffic office or some pen pushing load planner to get there asap

i for one have spent long spells at sutton bridge when repairs were taking place a good few years back and not very pleasant

If you turn right down the little track just before the bridge you come to the lighthouse where Peter Scott lived pre WWII. This is where he did all his wildfowling and had his "Road to Damascus" moment and took to conservation. I have not been for a while but there was a picnic area. There was also a " Grand Plan" for the lighthouse as a visitor centre but not sure if it ever came off.

• Like 1