Arthur Ransome's Official Biographer.

ChrisB

Thanks for posting this. I shall look out for the biography. Current re-reading ‘The Coot Club’, partly because I started a re-read of The Swallows and Amazons series of books a few weeks ago, but also to whet my appetite for our first trip on Moonlight Shadow. Only a fortnight away! 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks for posting this. I shall look out for the biography. Current re-reading ‘The Coot Club’, partly because I started a re-read of The Swallows and Amazons series of books a few weeks ago, but also to whet my appetite for our first trip on Moonlight Shadow. Only a fortnight away! 

Don't forget 'The Big Six' as well.  Loved Ransome's work since I first discovered him as a child. The sailing stuff is so accurate.

• Like 2

At the age of 9 or 10 in the 2nd-to-final year at junior school (this was in the 1960s) I chanced upon a well-worn hardback in the classroom library:  Coot Club.  I read this from cover-to-cover.  This sparked an interest in sailing & the Norfolk Broads.  Over the years I aquired the whole set (mostly as hardbacks) and still have them in the loft of our house now in Germany.

Sadly these books don't fit into modern life - consider Pigeon Post: any kid nowadays would ask why they didn't use a cell phone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1