Mobile Wifi

Paul

We are looking at putting mobile wi-fi or "mi-fi" in the caravan. It must be via a standalone device, not a usb dongle and ideally be unlimited. Three have an offer at present at 22 per month, 24 month contract. What is coverage like around east anglia (not just the broads) and does anyone have experience of it?

We have an unlocked Huawei "mifi" router which I bought from Amazon for around £40. I buy prepaid data SIMs which use the Three network and which come with 3GB data and last for up to 3 months for around £12 a pop.  We also have a plug-in signal booster, which allows me to get reception in poor signal areas. If you buy a portable router, make sure you get one with a socket for the booster.  Prepaid SIMs are very convenient - you can top them up when the data runs out or just pop in another SIM  which, paradoxically, works out cheaper.  Being unlocked, you can use a SIM for the network of your choice. You can check signal coverage at your intended destination via the service provider's website.  The only one I ever had problems with was a Vodafone SIM, which required me to go into the router via the Admin  login and change confiiguration settings. I also found Vodafone very difficult to deal with, so gave up in the end.

Just a word of caution. If you plan to use a laptop with a mi-fi device, make sure you set the wifi connection to "metered" otherwise you can rapidly blow your entire data allowance in minutes if Microsoft decides that you need a background download.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveO said:

I also found Vodafone very difficult to deal with, so gave up in the end.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Vodafone is a dirty word in our house  now. My current contract is with them, and I'm counting the days, no minutes, even seconds until it ends, and never, ever again. A router with external antennae / booster option is a must. 

I've just got a 'Smarty' sim it's on the 3 network. £18.75 a month totally unlimited.

Just checked my usage, just over 20gb this last 4 days on the boat so well worth it.

https://smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited?utm_medium=PPC&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CSIM_GENERIC_SIM-DATA_EXACT_GEN&utm_content=e&utm_term=unlimited data only sim&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoKzsBRC5ARIsAITcwXGzfb28IOcFN3JhIW6F9iEeVWtqdtnjwMJ35-LnjhvVwK3Ytu0BqAQaAhedEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Paul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petersjoy said:

I've just got a 'Smarty' sim it's on the 3 network. £18.75 a month totally unlimited.

Just checked my usage, just over 20gb this last 4 days on the boat so well worth it.

Wow, 20 GB in 4 days. You must be streaming a lot of video.  I use less than that in a year.