Aquabelle 28 with hydraulic dirve problem

Guest biggles999

Hi everybody we went to move the boat today having launched it yesterday and reverse wouldnt engage without a horrible crunching noise after three minutes the noise disappeared and then the gearbox behaved perfectly, Where do I check the level of fluid and what type of fluid is used, both the guy who piloted my boat and myself are suspicious that the level is low I have attached a photo of the engine, is the fluid top up tank the one on the left with a big cap on it Helppppppppp

post-1101-136713797959_thumb.jpg

Hi everybody we went to move the boat today having launched it yesterday and reverse wouldnt engage without a horrible crunching noise after three minutes the noise disappeared and then the gearbox behaved perfectly, Where do I check the level of fluid and what type of fluid is used, both the guy who piloted my boat and myself are suspicious that the level is low I have attached a photo of the engine, is the fluid top up tank the one on the left with a big cap on it Helppppppppp

It looks like an older Nanni engine,mine has a fluid box like that and has a level guage on it,but just open the cap and see if any oil is in it.. Then of course if its full you can narrow it down to something else..Not very helpful i know..Clunking noises can be strange are you sure you did not hit something on the bottom.

The system on my Bounty uses Teresstic T46 hydraulic oil, but as Jonzo has stated, mixing different grades of oil will cause them to curdle, resulting in pump cavitation and an expensive strip down and clean :o

To give you a clue Teresstic T46 is clear to look at.

Hi biggles,

be careful with what you do here!

The engine is a Perkins 4.108, the hyydraulics are topped up via the big chrome cap on the tank bolted to the back of the engine, use hydraulic oil not ATF (as found in Borg Warner gearboxes) this looks like a ex Broadland Tango, she has Volvo Hydraulics and sometimes needs the hydraulic oil cooler checked for weed which has passed the weed filter, a 5 min job if you knpow what to do but easy to end up in a muddle with.

cheers, cheers

Hi Biggles

Out of interest, do you know which Broadland Tango she was? She looks like one of the two that were defleeted first and sat at Stalham a little while before sale, but if no-ones changed it they often had their Broads reg number where the height information etc is near the helm/control panel - as in this photo of one them

Dan

post-93-136713797971_thumb.jpg

Where do I find the hydraulic filter please

Its the hydraulic oil cooler...

it is a brass tube about 9 inches long with a half inch nut/bolt top and bottom and a pipe from the weed filter going in one end and to the water pump out of the other...

If you do 'have a go' make sure you support the heat exchanger when you remove the ends and dont loose the o rings which seal the water from the oil.

cheersbar

sorry, the filter is a big UCC canister type i think but they rarely block although i would not know what oil has been put in the tank (ATF :naughty: )since she left the care of the Stalham yard.The motor and bracket paint

looks like my handy work from over 10 years ago! :lol:

Hi,

Yes, just seen your email, I am no expert on hydraulic oils or any other but it is ailable from most boatyards or agricultural dealers.

my red oxide painting was second only to the grey bilge paint. cheersbarcheersbar

the sight glass probably has some oil in the bottom and the level in the tank is lower.

Well today I went down to "Tango2" and decided to drain a drop of the old oil then mixed it with the new that Jones Boatyard sold me and it is fine no sign of conjealing at all so I introduced the new oil and unfortunatley didnt really have enough, I think Jones sold it to me in a big can with only a little in it ! so there was no way of knowing how much I put in ! Clive can you remember how far up the glass level indicator it should be on the tank ??

I hit the starter and she fired up third turn of the engine, I ran it for 5 minutes then selected reverse, it slipped in a dream I even double checked to see if it was in reverse lol.

I tried to figure out how much diesel she will hold! maybe another question for Clive?

I checked the batteries and all good so I,m nearly ready to take her down to Denver Club about 7 hours with one Lock (Hermitage) which is manned and has traffic lights :Stinky

I now tomorrow have to face the task of locating the leaks of rainwater (found one today caused by one of the fender cleats not being tight enough?) I have approx six other leaks to trace and cure! Cant have my wife Mia getting dripped on lol

I fired up the Webasto heating and it soon heated up the top cabin as well as the lower one to (two outlets) so no problem cold weather cruising Good old Richardsons for making this boat, must have had me in mind at the time lol

:Stinky

Its good to hear you are getting sorted,

We did not build them they were built by Bell boats in Brundall.

the answers to your questions.....

fill the hydraulic oil to about an inch from the top.

I think the diesel was about 60 gallons but am not sure.

cheers

I think the diesel was about 60 gallons but am not sure. cheers

Ouch that is about 270 litres @ £1.40 = £378... :o

The yards will be upping their fuel deposits soon.

I wonder how much diesel Ricko's get through in week in high season,

probably a couple of large tanker loads I would think!

Ouch that is about 270 litres @ £1.40 = £378... :o

The yards will be upping their fuel deposits soon.

I wonder how much diesel Ricko's get through in week in high season,

probably a couple of large tanker loads I would think!

SHHHHHHHHHHH we dont want that

Jonny

I went down to "Tango" today after purchasing ten litres of hydro the same as the unkown quantity bought last saturday and proceeded to pour it in,the tank level is now where it should be but approx 12 litres of oil have gone in, there appears to be a slight oil presence in the bilge, but minimal like a drip only occasional,

I didnt expect to put that much in, so the oil was just about at Low fill me quick status, what damage could be done by running it this low Clive?

I have to decide fairly quickly as the Marina I,m in tempory want meto vacate asap, although they have been a great source of help

so far