Fuel Excess

Guest smokesmate

how long does it take to get from stalham to acle?

You might find this link useful http://www.broadlandboathire.com/Map%20page.html

(it is a bit weird on my browser as there is photo that pops up behind the bit for the Ant distances...

Clik on that part of page though and it will go away!)

Add up the times from Ant Mouth to Stalham (2 hrs 15 mins) , and then go to the Bure to add the rest of the Stalham - Acle trip (another hour).

So that is approx 3 hrs 15 mins.

There are plenty of other similar resources like that out there, happy googling!

(or look in the forum's links section they may already be on there)

Martin

thanks john,i thought of maybe overnighting at yarmouth.i also like your advice about the bridge pub at acle.

how long does it take to get from stalham to acle because the boat pick up time is 4pm and being the end of sept i expect it to start getting dark about 6.30pm which only gives us a couple of hours to find somewhere on the first night.

Dependant on how busy the yard is you may find that a friendly phone call will result in your boat being ready a bit earlier for your pick up. I'm not sure about it and sure to be corrected if wrong but I think the 4pm collection tends to be a standard pick up time, if nothing needs fixing and you have asked nicely then you could be away a couple of hours earlier.

thanks john,i thought of maybe overnighting at yarmouth.i also like your advice about the bridge pub at acle.

how long does it take to get from stalham to acle because the boat pick up time is 4pm and being the end of sept i expect it to start getting dark about 6.30pm which only gives us a couple of hours to find somewhere on the first night.

cheersbar

Hi again. back from the pub.. hic!!!

If you're picking up at Richardsons and ask them nicely I'm sure you might get away a bit earlier (as Senator says)... so I don't think darkness will be a problem as it's BST then ( It's nearer 7.30pm for darkness). With the tide with you you wont take any longer take the 3.15 hrs as Martin says.

Good Luck cheersbarcheersbarcheersbar

Hi all,

I now everything has been covered, but this is how I see my fuel use and deposit.

When the holiday is booked you pay the deposit, say £100

I use this as a sort of saving account with the yard, I usually just tootle about anyway, but on one 2 week holiday, I actually filled the boat up with only 4 days to go (£50.00 cash out of pocket, not tempted to spend it on anything else).

I then knew, that when I got back to the yard (with an empty wallet) I would have a nice bit of the £100 back, as I would have only used about £20 for the last four days.

On this occasion I got about £83 back, so had some wonga in pocket for way home and no need to go to the hole in the wall

As long as you can trust the yard that you hire from, you will only pay for what you use

:Stinky

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi smokersmate, yes, they nlways say 4-00pm take over time, but if you phone Richardsons and ask them very nicely, they`ll more than likely aggree to you taking the boat over earlier, possibly as early as 1-00pm providing you give them a few weeks notice, so that`ll give you plenty of time to take a very leisurely cruise down to Acle bridge with plenty of daylight hours to spare. Also, don`t forget that Richardsons sister yard, Horizion fleet are at Acle bridge, so if you cannot get a mooring immediately in front of the pub, you can easily get a mooring back through the bridge, and in their basin. Have a great holiday, and don`t forget to post up how it all goes in the "Holiday tales" section. Regards ....................... Neil.

Thanks for all the replies guy's.

No doubt i will probably be asking more questions before we go on holiday,we are really looking forward to it and can't wait.It will make a change from holidaying in a static caravan at dear old Skegness.

regards

smokesmate

If you are late leaving Richardsons you have the option of the Dog at Ludham Bridge as a first night stop over. Biggest mistake is go tearing down the river Ant to try to make somewhere else, you end up missing what for me is one of the most beautiful places on the broads. Alternative to the Dog, just find a nice bit of river bank out of the way and over night there, try a spot of fishing, have couple of beers, keep an eye out for the bats in the evening and if its a clear night just look up at the stars. Its a different world, just magical! Then you have all day to take a run to either Acle or the long cruse to Yarmouth.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
If you are late leaving Richardsons you have the option of the Dog at Ludham Bridge as a first night stop over. Biggest mistake is go tearing down the river Ant to try to make somewhere else, you end up missing what for me is one of the most beautiful places on the broads. Alternative to the Dog, just find a nice bit of river bank out of the way and over night there, try a spot of fishing, have couple of beers, keep an eye out for the bats in the evening and if its a clear night just look up at the stars. Its a different world, just magical! Then you have all day to take a run to either Acle or the long cruse to Yarmouth.

That`s also a good idea, of which i will add that bridge height permitting, Dilham would be a great 1st night stopover, and then a leisurely cruise down to Acle for lunch at the Bridge and then carrying on to Yarmouth the next day, Stopover at Yarmouth for the night, spend the day or best part of it there, and then a couple of hours to Reedham for the night. I love Reedham, and the views over the marshes from on top of the hill are quite spectacular (if the weather permits). Regards to all .............. Neil.

Good discussion. It might seem obvious, but some hirers don't make the connection between engine revs and fuel consumption. Tides do make a massive difference to the amount of revs you need to go at your desired speed & bear in mind that tides on the south Broads are much stronger. Apart from that though keep your speed down and you'll see the benefit at the end of the week. I can never can resist the urge to max that throttle on Breydon though! (The only place you're allowed to of course).

One yard I hired from, Silverline gave explicit instructions not to refuel the boat anywhere other than with them on the basis of the risk of contaminated diesel - anyone else come across this?