Hot Battery..!

8 minutes ago, Islander said:

The boat was no doubt built with the most basic of electrics and has over the years had numerous add ons without the removal of redundant circuitry. 

Which those of us in the hire boat business have seen so many times before!

One of the first jobs on my boat was to understand where all the cables went, what they did and then simplify, strip out and improve where possible. Being ex hire my boat had a solenoid to cut the engine out if it over heated. That was quickly removed and replaced with a loud buzzer, giving me the choice of waiting a few more seconds if I was in the middle of coming into moor at somewhere like Reedham for instance, rather than loose power at the critical moment.

I purchased my boat with a BSS and although that was 16 years ago and the BSS has been updated since, I think there were some very liberal interpretations of how the BSS was applied and given to my boat that first time. Worryingly, early adopters of the BSS on The Broads got an extra year, so five years for that first one. 

Many changes were made in the first few years of ownership and then it sailed through the next BSS and has every time since. I always print off the BSS and go through all the check points prior to the examination. When the tester arrives I point out all the access panels which I've removed in preparation, then explain any changes or modifications I have made since the last test and then leave him to it.

• Like 1

i often wonder if we over complicate the situation ,for my 1.5 bmc i used to have a 90amp starter and two 110 leisure batteries upped to three when i had a electric fridge and warm air fitted we would moor up for lengthy    periods without the need to fire up for a re-charge

keep it simple my motto 

finny