Yearly Competition's Disappeared?

Andrewcook

What has happen to these Yearly Competition's that used to be around the Broads each Year such as best kept Pub's / Shop's / Boat Yard's award's along visiting Restaurants has now been stopped why ? If ever it gets started again I would suggest including Fibre Glass and Wooden best looking Boat's not for getting to include Sailing Boat's 

5 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

What has happen to these Yearly Competition's that used to be around the Broads each Year 

If it is the competition I think you are referring to it was organised by the old NBO forum.

Fred

46 minutes ago, trambo said:

If it is the competition I think you are referring to it was organised by the old NBO forum.

Fred

If it is the awards, rather than a competition, it was first started by the NBN, then following a fracture of the forum with some going their separate way to form the NBO, they carried on with the awards. With the NBO having a smaller membership the merit of the awards was very diminished.

The awards idea was with good intent, but always rather subjective and a good source of divisions within the forum, so probably left consigned to history. 

I think The Bridge Acle and possibly The Dog Ludham still sport a fair numbers on their walls if people want to reminisce.

• Like 1

Blakes ran a Pub of the Year competition back in the 1970s. It ran for several years and yours truly and the team at the Waveney Inn won the award year after year until the pubs that never won pulled out, refusing to support something that they could never win. It wasn't that they were bad pubs, just that the Waveney had both extensive onsite moorings and a well used shop. At the time we were the only pub to charge for moorings and with every mooring ticket we handed out a voting form. In the shop every customer was asked to vote. We didn't miss an opportunity which, looking back, was perhaps unfair on the other pubs but it worked for us. That competition was good for us but it died a death, sadly but inevitably. Perhaps the same could be said of the NBO competition.