Porter And Haylet

andyg

It's been a while since I've gone under Wroxham bridge. I know the old porter and haylet yards is now a private marina. But I remember they had quite extensive shed facilities as well. I always use to take a look in the sheds when moored and there would always be a production line of boats being built destined for France. Does anyone know what the shed are used for now. 

• andyg changed the title to Porter And Haylet

Right close to the viaduct are the pontoon bikes, new venture. The remaining sheds hold nothing but air, one may have the old green lifting crane if it’s not being stored outside? The offices are the same all empty, these have been like this since the hire boats left. Landamores use their  other sites for the maintenance of any boats. 

There are lifting facilities at the Bridge Broad site, were the yard will undertake some minor jobs such as anti fouling. The Landamores web site gives plenty of details of their services they offer. 👍🏻

Cheers

Paul 

27 minutes ago, maysailor said:

small shed at the end of the site was being used by the Floating Bike company

Oh, what a joy to behold, under Wroxham bridge!

Why is this sort of thing allowed, in such a totally unsuitable site?  Surely, this is what places such as Bewilderwood are for?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Oh, what a joy to behold, under Wroxham bridge!

Why is this sort of thing allowed, in such a totally unsuitable site?  Surely, this is what places such as Bewilderwood are for?

There are strict rules on where these vessels can navigate and, basically, it's nowhere near the bridge. They are told to go upstream and into Bridge Broad. There was lots of consulting with the BA rangers department before this opened for business. 

• Like 1

We moor at Landamores, so often during what ended up being an unplanned short season for us, we have come across many of these new floating bikes. So far no issues at all, it has actually been great to see a new venture take off. 

Now slightly off topic…. 

Now on the other hand if we are to mention Wroxham bridge navigation; this will set my foot tapping. Day boats manoeuvring down stream right in front of the bridge, right opposite the public key the bridge pilots have taken over, where boats are often 2 even 3 abreast. How planning permission was allowed for these activities when there is often loads of room in the basins behind NBD, is beyond me and many others too. Still each event near miss etc. is reported to the BA still it continues. 

B/pilots and day boat operators, which this season seem to have changed, maybe it’s pressure, however who feel they have right of way over everything and everyone, no matter a what stage you are at in negotiating the bridge, even if you’re half way through it! 

(rant over 😊).

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 2