River Booms.

andyg

As I understand it, they raise a barrier when there is a salt surge to prevent it from affecting the fish in their basin.  To me, it seems a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, as the number of fish it saves, by comparison to the number in the rivers, must be minimal.

I think, and I'm no expert, that as the salt water incursion works it's way upstream so do the fish and the basin which seems like a haven becomes a trap as the salt water means they can't get out to keep moving upstream.

No idea how effective it is but presumably it helps. The EA operate it I think.

• Like 1

I assumed it had something to do with fish etc. Its clearly not a flood defence its not big enough. Thanks for the info. There seemed a mad rush to move some boats that were going out on hire before it was closed. That would be an absolute nightmare on a very busy turnaround day.. 

1 hour ago, Ray said:

I think, and I'm no expert, that as the salt water incursion works it's way upstream so do the fish and the basin which seems like a haven becomes a trap as the salt water means they can't get out to keep moving upstream.

No idea how effective it is but presumably it helps. The EA operate it I think.

A lot of the fish naturally migrate to the boat yards to overwinter apart from being pushed up by a salt surge, that's why the EA have the barrier there for protection.

Fred

• Like 2