Batteries For Boats

Andrewcook

the big problem is that the new modern technology batteries that are available for cars are probably not compatible with the systems aboard most boats, they require different types of alternators, different chargers (though some can cater for different battery types) so its not just a simple case of swapping to the new technologies.

that and the pattern of use is different between cars and boats, what suits a car may not suit a boat and vice versa, generally your domestic batteries will be a lower cranking amps rating but be able to be discharged further than a standard car battery, which will have high cranking amps, but needs to be kept fully charged most of the time.

if you modernise the boats batteries, which may be expensive, then you will find additional costs in changing the charging systems to match. I found on my car that an AGM battery wasnt the right one for my car, I needed the standard one- which saved me £30 over the AGM battery. (the AGM are generally used in hybrid vehicles and ones fitted with stop/ start technology.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tyna said:

I know nothing about batteries but did watch the Narrow Boat Pirate, vlog about adding a Lithium Hybrid to an existing battery bank. Not sure if this is relevant.

You’re not TANYA then , from Tanya batteries…😎

3 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

As batteries should now be cheaper and lasting longer if and when they do need to replaced them on Boats due to advanced Technology now on Electric Cars having longer lasting batteries chargeable being driven on our Roads

Nothing is cheaper than before and if it is, it won't last longer than before if its a battery. 

There are fundamental differences between the technology of a wet lead acid cell and a Ii-po cell that's used in phones, cars and more. 

These things are very different animals, require different charging practices, require battery management systems to prevent over charging, cold and hot cut-out and so much more. 

The cost of a 110amp Lithium battery to replace a lead-acid battery on a boat is HUGE by comparison. I can buy a half-decent 110amp wet battery for about £90. A Lithium equivalent would be about 4.5 times more expensive for a CHEAP one. And, as I said, it's not just a drop in replacement as you need Battery Management hardware too. 

The benefits of a lithium battery are numerous, but only in a properly designed charging system.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tyna said:

I know nothing about batteries but did watch the Narrow Boat Pirate, vlog about adding a Lithium Hybrid to an existing battery bank. Not sure if this is relevant.

having watched the video, their solution to the alternator running hot (due to the capacity that the added lithium battery was taking out of the alternator (not the recommended method for charging a lithium battery), was to limit the current by fitting a longer section of 6mm2 wire, yes this will limit the current to the battery from the alternator to about 32A, but the wire is not sufficiently sized for a  battery charging cable, and will get hot / possibly melt and burn. the recommended solution would be the correct battery charger for the lithium battery, which alos should not be connected in parallel with the lead acid batterys (very bad practice to mix and match battery chemistries in one bank, get a fault on a lead acid battery and the lithium battery could boil the acid off the lead acid battery and possibly cause an explosion.

if in any doubt get something professionally installed, and using the correct charging method.

• Like 3

Hi Andrew Traction batteries are the cheapest overall  for boat propulsion BUT! do need a separate storage from interia of boat and do require maintenance likewise lead acid battery's for domestic bank are the cheapest over all BUT ! do require topping up once a year and both types need a float charging when not being used for longevity But if you want a battery in the inertia (not recommended) Lithium would be best As Grendel said vehicle propulsion batteries are not suitable for leisure boats yet. John

Just watched this video ignorance is bliss springs to mind, she would have had the same result cheaper if she had a lead acid battery, Lithium batteries dont give you any more amps than you put in,they just give you perhaps double the storage/ amps for a given size and weight battery compared to lead acid at a much higher cost boats dont often have storage/weight problems unlike most other battery run items. John