Mudweights - who stocks them?

Guest SetFair

In readiness for trailing my 18' Mayland to the Broads in 2012 (the Thames sucks IMO), I'll be in need of a mudweight. As I'll be coming to the Broads in late October 2011 to do a recce of slipways, I might as well pick a mudweight up whilst I'm there. So, the usual questions:

1) What weight? I figure 18kg might be overkill for a 900kg boat but looking to you guys for suggestions and,

2) Who stocks them and who does them the cheapest?

Thanks in anticipation,

Paul :wave

Mud weights are expensive bits of pig iron. A breeze block on a rope would effectively do the job in most cases! Actually seen that too ! 14 16kg will easily hold a boat of your weight. Most shops are out of stock usually but the two shops that spring to mind (depending on where you plan to launch) are Norfolk marine in wroxham for the northern rivers and Brian ward in brundall if launching inn the southern rivers

Both stores usually stock them but wards are cheaper. Expect to pay £50 - £60 for that weight though!

Gav is right that Norfolk Marine do hold a fair stock of mudweights. We got our 18kg one there in September 2009 and I think it cost around £45.00.

18Kg is enough to hold a Falcon 22 so I don't think you will need to go that high cheers

Oh and another thought...if you do buy a mudweight, make sure you aren't parked as far away from the chandlers as we were. Shifting 18Kg round Hoveton was hard going so we decided to do a bit of shopping in Roys and trolleyed it back to the car :naughty:

18kg will hold my 37 foot birchwood too! Lol had 16kg on the falcon 27. They are very effective at what they do as it is the vacuum effect, once thrown in, that holds them in place. Just remember to have the OTHER end of the rope secure somewhere as it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of the rope following the weight in!

For Norfolk Marine's prices:

http://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-onl ... fb9f5458df

People often try to save money by casting mudweights out of concrete, as well as the suggestion of using a breezeblock.

There's a definite physical reason why using anything other than steel, iron or lead is not a very good idea.

Masonry and concrete may be heavy in air, but it's weight underwater is far less, because it has a "specific gravity" not much different from the water it's displacing. Whereas iron steel and lead are much denser for any given volume.

The bottom line is that you would need double or treble the handling weight of concrete to have the same underwater weight as iron or steel.

18kg will hold my 37 foot birchwood too! Lol had 16kg on the falcon 27. They are very effective at what they do as it is the vacuum effect, once thrown in, that holds them in place. Just remember to have the OTHER end of the rope secure somewhere as it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of the rope following the weight in!

Indeed Gav! I always make sure the rope is attatched (there is plenty of it plus 2 metres of chain) but my biggest problem is picking the weight up and launching it into the water. Okay, we have no windlass and only a bow roller but it always seems to plug in the mud better if given a good lob :naughty:

Believe me, the images of Jimbo staggering around the bow like Quasimodo preparing to launch the weight have given many others a good laugh ay my expense!

Okay, we have no windlass and only a bow roller but it always seems to plug in the mud better if given a good lob :naughty:

Believe me, the images of Jimbo staggering around the bow like Quasimodo preparing to launch the weight have given many others a good laugh ay my expense!

That is what you are doing wrong Jim,...

Forget the Quaismodo pose,

go for the hammer thrower version!

Get it whirling around your head on the chain and then launch it

(but make sure the line is all in front of you

and that you launch it when it is at the "going forward" part of the swing) :o:o

Then you will really get the audience attention

(especially if you get the release wrong, or are standing on the line)....

What are you trying to say Trev :Stinky

Just a piece of absolutly useless information!!

Ps after lugging a 18kg mud weight from norfolk marine to the cafe i thought you were going to croock ,and it didn,t hold your boat on South Walsham broad, soooo when are you going to pass it on to the leg and chew?? after all i am short of a mud weight!! :naughty::naughty:

Just a piece of absolutly useless information!!

Ps after lugging a 18kg mud weight from norfolk marine to the cafe i thought you were going to croock ,and it didn,t hold your boat on South Walsham broad, soooo when are you going to pass it on to the leg and chew?? after all i am short of a mud weight!! :naughty::naughty:

Trevor could you please buy a 14kg mudweight cos my missus has trouble raising the 18 kg one i have and then i could swap with you :wave

Some interesting posts :)

I'll be visiting Norfolk Marine to get a 18kg one. I realise it's a bit OTT but for £/kg, the 18kg is beter value than the 14kg and I'll still be able to lift it.

It'll also double as ballast on the bow as I've got sooo much weight on the stern - two outboards, two batteries, water tank, 30lt fuel and the crew (aka my wife :grin:).