Richardsons Life Jackets

Davydine

Not a strange question at all. But it is an important one. 

Is it a life jacket or a buoyancy aid. They all have a standard, a statement as to thier performance ability under different conditions, circumstances and of course the risk factors involved. 

A child will need head support and will be designed that the small child will float on its  back to be rescued. The lifeboat crew, working, putting there lives at risk, in extreme conditions, wearing heavy protective clothing, working at risk, require a bit of kit for the job. Expensive, proven, requires regular maintenance, personal to the user, a safety aid that the crew have confidence.

We all have a choice, if I was a regular hirer I would buy my own jacket, but onot the professional one. in fact I have a life jacket  I keep it in the car. I'm often by the riverside. It is there just in case.

Andrew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

Not a strange question at all. But it is an important one. 

Is it a life jacket or a buoyancy aid. They all have a standard, a statement as to thier performance ability under different conditions, circumstances and of course the risk factors involved. 

A child will need head support and will be designed that the small child will float on its  back to be rescued. The lifeboat crew, working, putting there lives at risk, in extreme conditions, wearing heavy protective clothing, working at risk, require a bit of kit for the job. Expensive, proven, requires regular maintenance, personal to the user, a safety aid that the crew have confidence.

We all have a choice, if I was a regular hirer I would buy my own jacket, but onot the professional one. in fact I have a life jacket  I keep it in the car. I'm often by the riverside. It is there just in case.

Andrew

Exactly this! Life jackets only work if worn! I do actually have 4 automatic life jackets in the garage from the days when we had our own boat, but they are about 15 years old, so I would be reluctant to actually trust my life to them.

We have a rule that when we are under way, the children must wear life jackets on deck. I will always put mine on because I can't really expect the kids to wear theirs if I am not. I am a confident swimmer but a sudden immersion in cold water and I wouldn't fancy my chances. I prefer the auto inflating ones because they are more comfortable and therefore more likely to be worn.

I recently went for a swim in Windermere, deliberately, with a group of cold water swimmers. It was an interesting and sobering experience. It was 4.5 degrees! I know how shocking it was going in in a controlled way. Falling in fully clothed and unexpectedly, no thank you!

David

• Like 3