A Robin Nest

Went to do a visual check on the content of the LPG tank in our garden yesterday and look what I found! We've had LPG for the last 30 odd years and this is the first time a bird has nested under the lid!!  We're on automated delivery when the gauge gets to about 10% but the nest has completely covered the gauge so I haven't a clue how much is in there.  I'll ring Calor this morning and ask them and if we're due a delivery I'll ask if they can delay until the birds have flown the nest!

Chris

1364338676_Robinnest.jpg.b0af5f17e15b0278d5007c792b3c1114.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Spoken to Calor, we've got 41% of gas in the tank which according to them is good enough for another 150 days based on present consumption!  So baby robins are safe until they are ready to leave the nest and venture into the wide world :default_smile: the only downside is that I'll have to remove the nest once they've gone :default_sad: I'll build a robin nest box and place it on the garage wall near to where the tank is for next year in the hope that they'll come back next year and use it!

Chris

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Chris well done ,It might be a good idea to block there entrance up next year to stop it happening again,what would we do if gas had run out.?. John

Not allowed to block the ends up in case there's a gas leak from the valves etc on the top of the tank (I did ask the qustion when I spoke to Calor).  :default_sad: (Hopefully they'll use the nest box that I'm going to make!).

Chris

32 minutes ago, annv said:

What about wire mesh. John

That might work on one end but the other end has the outlet gas pipe coming out and with the lid being hinged, it will be difficult to attach any suitable wire mesh without catching the pipe when raising the lid :default_unsure: but thank you for the suggestion.

Chris

32 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Cable tie a cat to the gas pipe.

Ha Ha - now you mention it, next door has two cats and they seem to bring everything into their house from baby rabbits to frogs!!  Problem is that our GSD doesn't like cats so they won't come into our garden :default_laugh:  The robins aren't daft - tank is too smooth to climb up and they have top cover as well! :default_smile:

Chris