Bure Valley Railway

Roy

This is not such a holiday tale but an idea for people’s holidays 

A trip on the bure valley railway that runs from wroxham to the market town of Aylsham the railways is a 15 inch gauge railway that runs for 9 miles through some of Norfolk’s beautiful scenery.

the railway is mainly steam hauled with 5 steam engines and one diesel the railway has ordered a electric engine to take over from the diesel. 

Once on the train in there luxurious enclosed carriages it takes 45 minutes to reach Aylsham there is also a foot path that runs alongside the train so it’s possible to walk one way and return on the train. 

Aylsham is a gem of a Norfolk town with independent shops and a market on Monday’s some Monday’s keys sale yard also run a market with everything and anything. 

Below are some pictures 

F4BEC5D0-CDDF-480F-A550-EB55273A5D24.jpeg

D0E90E46-8195-4D1B-8877-73F25ED7EF14.jpeg

70277DDE-27C2-4836-80B7-E9F25888A942.jpeg

0B004D34-701F-46A0-AF20-16F3E4753678.jpeg

5776DDA5-9820-4E83-A896-0E72C3F20E1A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s a 6 minute walk to the market square according to Google and to be fair, even with an ‘elder’ with us, didn’t take too much longer than that.  We came back on the return trip the one after the next train back if you see what I mean and that gave us plenty of time for a mooch, a look in the church and a cream tea. If a market day, you might want longer still. 

We had great fun the other day, bumbling along in our private carriage. Plenty of windows to open. 

First time I went was about 25 years ago, there was a Thomas the tank engine day I think and my son was 4. I thought we also visited a big model railway set up in the shed, it doesn’t seem to be there now. There is a little model train on the platform, you press the button and off it goes round and round. 
I’ve also gone one way and walked back to Wroxham, 5 years ago. Lovely walk, but quite long and not much shade so better not gone at this time of year. 

And just for info, the interim stops at Coltishall and elsewhere aren’t operational at the moment. They didn’t open when the train started again after various lockdowns. 

12 minutes ago, kpnut said:

It’s a 6 minute walk to the market square according to Google and to be fair, even with an ‘elder’ with us, didn’t take too much longer than that.  We came back on the return trip the one after the next train back if you see what I mean and that gave us plenty of time for a mooch, a look in the church and a cream tea. If a market day, you might want longer still. 

We had great fun the other day, bumbling along in our private carriage. Plenty of windows to open. 

First time I went was about 25 years ago, there was a Thomas the tank engine day I think and my son was 4. I thought we also visited a big model railway set up in the shed, it doesn’t seem to be there now. There is a little model train on the platform, you press the button and off it goes round and round. 
I’ve also gone one way and walked back to Wroxham, 5 years ago. Lovely walk, but quite long and not much shade so better not gone at this time of year. 

And just for info, the interim stops at Coltishall and elsewhere aren’t operational at the moment. They didn’t open when the train started again after various lockdowns. 

Thanks for that.  The 'elder' would be me now!  Walking too far a problem but I am sure worth the effort if we take it steady.  I would probably stop at the first pub and let the 'old girl' explore!

• Like 1