"Loosing 200/300mm in air draft"

Just how thick are these pieces of wood? :(

Surely they could just screw/bolt some 50mm oak directly onto the

underneath over the bolt heads? To me, there is no need to reduce

the height any more than that. It would'nt bother us though with an

air draft of 7' 7" with the canopy closed, but it will affect many

others which already had to get the timing spot on especially during

springs. I can see quite a few boats arriving at GY only to find that the

wind has held the tide back enough to stop passage under that bridge.

I feel another height gauge should be placed around the Marina Quays

area so as not to be informed at the last minute that its a no-no. :norty:

that sounds like a really good idea neil

jill :River Police

Ah now that is a very relative nugget as the height guages on this bridge have so much limescale on them that they are unreadable. No maintenance has occured on them in a very long time. It should be part and parcel of regular maintenance that, in this case the BA who are best placed to look after this work, clean ALL height boards regularly. However I have a feeling that the words 'risk assesment' and Health and Safety' may pop up here...

One thing I like is the idea of 'oak' runners - simple and effective, however with oak scrap prices approaching that of some metal, I have the feeling that they may not last long!

For info; I am currently waiting for replies to questions from Norfolk County Council, May Gurney, a number of railway trusts who I shall not mention at this time and SUSTRANS who have categorically refused to make any statement regarding this topic. I am also in the process of serving two FOI requests and am about to write to BA directly for their stance and understanding.

I have no beef about restoration, even though I do feel it is a rusting pile of crap, but I do feel very strongly that, as so often incases like these, the system has been manipulated by a public body or charity, and to some degree I feel sorry for BA that this has literally landed in their lap, but I also feel that the BA have been aware for many years what the situation is with the bridge/Kiki/SUSTRANS/Railway Walks etc and cannot exactly call this a 'fast ball'

• 4 weeks later...

Following a question on another forum, and to keep everyone in the loop as to what is happening regarding the proposed stoppage,

This is back on the agenda for the Norfolk County Council (Works) meeting in March and will also be tabled on 23rd February at the Navigation Committee meeting. Where it stands at the moment is that the contractors have been informed that the work is booked to go ahead and the Broads Authority have been duly informed of these works - as has rightfully been pointed out, their jurisdiction only goes as far as the yacht station. However, there has been some question on whether the notification to the likes of you and I had been completed properly as they have to make suitable public announcements. This has meant that a complete navigational stop would have been unlawful without the correct notice procedure being followed. It is not akin to closing a road thats for sure!

What has been agreed though is that there will be NO STOP TO NAVIGATION, instead if these works do go ahead on schedule (or at a possible later date) there will be a restricted navigation chanel.

Norfolk County Council no longer require the proposed closure in May for the eastern/upstream span of the bridge. Discussions are taking place and a restriction to the navigation channel will be required at some stage to allow repair work to be undertaken on the underside of the bridge deck.

An update on the suggested dates will be given at the Navigation Committee on the 23rd February 2012.

Kind regards.

Chris Bailey

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Direct Dial: (01603) 756007

email: chris.bailey@broads-authority.gov.uk

I think realistically it will be the end of March before we know for sure what is going to happen with this heap of cr*p!

• 3 weeks later...

Eastport UK have issued a notice to mariners stating that Repair and investigation works to Vauxhall Railway Bridge (near the River Bure entrance) will take place from the 16-29th April 2012. During this period barges will be moored and operating on the north side (ASDA) of the channel under the bridge from the river bank to the edge of the marked channel. The barges will be marked by high visibility tape and orange flashing lights.

More information on these works can be found here:

http://www.eastportuk.co.uk/UploadedData/Files/Notice%20005%20-%202012%20Vauxhall%20RB%20April%20works%20(2).pdf

Eastport UK have issued a notice to mariners stating that Repair and investigation works to Vauxhall Railway Bridge (near the River Bure entrance) will take place from the 16-29th April 2012. During this period barges will be moored and operating on the north side (ASDA) of the channel under the bridge from the river bank to the edge of the marked channel. The barges will be marked by high visibility tape and orange flashing lights.

More information on these works can be found here:

http://www.eastportuk.co.uk/UploadedData/Files/Notice%20005%20-%202012%20Vauxhall%20RB%20April%20works%20(2).pdf

From what i was reading before the original work was going to take place during the week of our holiday (May 5th - May 12th) which due to tides and for having to get back we would have been restricted to the northern rivers (not bad, but not enough water :) ).

so from your post am i now correct in thinking that the work is actually being carried out earlier than expected? and that there should not be any restrictions in may for this?

No I have been speaking regularly to the guys at Yarmouth about this. I could post up the correspondence but is quite lengthy. The work being carried out is not the work that was originally scheduled in May - that has been moved to November - thankfully! This is purely remedial work and initial work, being carried out by the same company - May Gurney - in preparation for that work that will go ahead later in the year.

What amazes me is that again, lack of discussion or adjective pretending 'we dont know about it' has meant that very little information has been available. The first weekend definitely impinges on the last week of the Easter School holiday!

Ahh i understand now (i think), so there should not be any issues during the week that i need it then. That is at least good.

Any idea why they originally thought it would be a good idea to do this stuff at the start of the boating season anyway!.

Glad that you have done some legwork for the rest of us, Otherwise we would have been planning to stay up north all week!, that's nice, but we prefer to get around.

Thanks for the information.

Sadly none of the stakeholders in this project seem to have much time for broads boaters. Sustains are a lobby group that campaign mainly for cycleways and footpaths, Railway Walks is there company set up in order to preserve this little piece of their 'heritage' in order to stop our boats bashing it and that particular piece of waterway beneath the yacht station is tge responsibility of Gt Yarmouth Port Authority (Eastport) who probably haven't even looked at it in the past 20 years. BA are just bystanders in this but there has been a heck of a lot on pressure to change their work schedule being placed behind the scene - much to the disgust of the Eco-lobby I understand

Just reading through the above posts, sadly due to being posted via an iphone a substatial amount of stuff got shanged, not least the villianous SUSTRANS - the organisation behind the work on the bridge. Sadly, as mentioned, the longer more explanatory post, disappeared as timed out.. basically all the info is there though. The work which was origianally planned for May will probably now take place in November, these works are additional works that have just been notified