Beginners, Boat Size

GES

15 hours ago, GES said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this and hoping for some advice.

We're looking to hire a boat for a week in August for 2 kids and 2 adults.

We were looking at a 42 foot cruiser with bow thrusters (Rapide) (mainly for the space inside).

Does anyone think this could be a bit difficult for novices to manoeuvre?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Geoff

Don’t forget this type of boat has a very high stern  not great for getting off. 

8 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Hi Geoff. I hired Rapide from AlphaCraft when it was first new 1990 / 91. As said previously you cannot see the aft end of the boat from the lower helm position. I like to see where the crew are when I am mooring up. The thing I really didn’t like was the way that the outside decking, where you step on and off the boat, changes height halfway along the boat. You go up 3 steps from one level to the next. The handrails at the rear of the boat are moulded into the shell and aren’t easy to grab if you slip, as I did. In all my years of boating that was the only time I have fallen in. I like the concept of dual helm positions and bow thrusters but that boat didn’t work for me. I appreciate you are looking for something with a bit of room. Have you considered a centre cockpit design. Have a look at something like Westminster Bridge from Bridgecraft at Acle, 42ft, plenty of room, one level apart from the helm position which is raised, bow thrusters, sliding canopy, wide outside decks, good all round vision when mooring up.

Hi Graham, thanks a lot, I'll have a look, to be honest though I think I could be better off with something smaller. I don't want to leave a trail of destruction behind me!

Thanks again

5 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Rapide has the stern door and well as opposed to the usual set up on these which are indeed very high 

D0FFED29-FA1D-4716-81A1-7B38B14235C2.jpeg

Yes, I think we'll go for something smaller. Many Thanks