Beginners, Boat Size

GES

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this and hoping for some advice.

We're looking to hire a boat for a week in August for 2 kids and 2 adults.

We were looking at a 42 foot cruiser with bow thrusters (Rapide) (mainly for the space inside).

Does anyone think this could be a bit difficult for novices to manoeuvre?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Geoff

Welcome to the forum Geoff.

Fear ye not. You will be in safe and experienced hands. Take on board (did you like that) and listen to your trial run driver/instructor. You will not go far wrong. 

Oh! And don't forget to ask on here, the old, and the wise, and people like me, the confused.

Andrew.

Z

Many years ago we hired Grecian Girl from Summercraft which is the same type of boat as Rapide , as has already been said the internal helm vision is most certainly restricted, but they are very spacious boats and the saloon being forward means you will have a lovely vista when stern moored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Many years ago we hired Grecian Girl from Summercraft which is the same type of boat as Rapide , as has already been said the internal helm vision is most certainly restricted, but they are very spacious boats and the saloon being forward means you will have a lovely vista when stern moored.

Many thanks, I think we might be better off on a smaller boat (at least for the first time).

Welcome to the forum.

I've never hired but in that situation I would ask the hirer if it were possible to go along, have a look and discuss it with them. Looking at some of the un hired boats on the webcams I would have thought it possible for a trial run? Or don't they do that?

23 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Welcome to the forum.

I've never hired but in that situation I would ask the hirer if it were possible to go along, have a look and discuss it with them. Looking at some of the un hired boats on the webcams I would have thought it possible for a trial run? Or don't they do that?

Hi.  Many thanks.

yes, it's probably worth giving the boat yard a ring.

i'm wondering would it be easier to moor a 42 foot with bow thrusters or a 35 foot without?

Different boats handle different ways and size just means another difference. 

It is perhaps a mistake to think one is harder to master than another. Better to just think of it as "other things to consider. "

Your youngsters will be very tempted to do the dramatic leap from the bow to bank . Do please try to talk them out of this, maybe telling them that the real experts don't do that, but step casually from the boat, holding the bow loosely whilst the stern is being tied as required. 

Try to do all your boat manoeuvring on low revs and slow speeds. That looks better, sounds better, and if you do touch another craft, it's a gentle kiss, not a Ben Hur ram. 

Don't be embarrassed when you get it wrong (and you will). I've been handling boats for over 50 years and still mess up occasionally.  That's why I do it slowly  get it right and you look like a pro, get it wrong and no harm done.

Above all  relax and enjoy the learning curve. It's fun.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

A larger boat with bow thrusters is easier than the many smaller boats without. Most difficulties are getting in and out of moorings where the thrusters really help.

Bow thrusters are by no means essential but are very helpful. I'd certainly recommend them for first timers. 

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Different boats handle different ways and size just means another difference. 

It is perhaps a mistake to think one is harder to master than another. Better to just think of it as "other things to consider. "

Your youngsters will be very tempted to do the dramatic leap from the bow to bank . Do please try to talk them out of this, maybe telling them that the real experts don't do that, but step casually from the boat, holding the bow loosely whilst the stern is being tied as required. 

Try to do all your boat manoeuvring on low revs and slow speeds. That looks better, sounds better, and if you do touch another craft, it's a gentle kiss, not a Ben Hur ram. 

Don't be embarrassed when you get it wrong (and you will). I've been handling boats for over 50 years and still mess up occasionally.  That's why I do it slowly  get it right and you look like a pro, get it wrong and no harm done.

Above all  relax and enjoy the learning curve. It's fun.

Thanks very much Maurice, brilliant advice.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

A larger boat with bow thrusters is easier than the many smaller boats without. Most difficulties are getting in and out of moorings where the thrusters really help.

Many Thanks

Hi Geoff. I hired Rapide from AlphaCraft when it was first new 1990 / 91. As said previously you cannot see the aft end of the boat from the lower helm position. I like to see where the crew are when I am mooring up. The thing I really didn’t like was the way that the outside decking, where you step on and off the boat, changes height halfway along the boat. You go up 3 steps from one level to the next. The handrails at the rear of the boat are moulded into the shell and aren’t easy to grab if you slip, as I did. In all my years of boating that was the only time I have fallen in. I like the concept of dual helm positions and bow thrusters but that boat didn’t work for me. I appreciate you are looking for something with a bit of room. Have you considered a centre cockpit design. Have a look at something like Westminster Bridge from Bridgecraft at Acle, 42ft, plenty of room, one level apart from the helm position which is raised, bow thrusters, sliding canopy, wide outside decks, good all round vision when mooring up.

• Like 2