Boat Shower Upgrade

For anyone with an old tap/shower mixer setup like the first pic below I can highly recommend a standard domestic thermostatic bar mixer, you don't have to have space for horizontal fitting as vertical or angled in my case works fine and is an absolute transformation, and without all the tap twiddling uses less water (both hot and cold) for a much stronger shower.

Well chuffed!

20230713_124714.thumb.jpg.22e78220409ade1533e5bfc23cfe234b.jpg

20230713_124721.thumb.jpg.07db4339d3b6989b3f64f712a0348ece.jpg

20230713_124747.thumb.jpg.404481330a1da7780ebefb3605d6b510.jpg

Had get a 2m hose for my setup and a few modified brass fittings to suit my mounting position and just tee'd off the tap supply.

I just have to remember to move the bog roll before using.

• Like 1

Following the link above I noted the description "Water Saving 3 Mode Function Spray Handheld Showerheads for Dry Skin & Hair" and thought yes if it gives you dry skin and hair it's going to save water, turning off the tap does the same...:default_biggrin:

• Haha 5

Part of the work done by LBBY on Springer’s Retreat was lining out the bathroom and putting in the new shower. I chose a Mira Atom EV Thermostatic bar with ‘water saving’ of some sort and 4 flow patterns in the head. I got it on offer from Screwfix or Toolstation, can’t remember which. The pressure provided by my jabsco water pump parmax 2.9) is wonderful. The shower is designed to work down to 0.1bar. 

The space for the shower is 570mm x 510mm x 1800mm high, but by increasing the ‘footprint’ of the curtain rail on the ceiling up to 800mm x 560mm, the shower feels so much larger. The curtain is no where near a wet body!!! And it stays where you put it at the bottom so all the water still drains where it should. 
The height of the bar is no issue ie doesn’t get in the way, and having the riser rail over towards the corner doesn’t compromise the water flow or shower head height. 
The mixer taps had been over the other side of the room, well away from the shower cubicle itself. So it was a matter of shutting the curtain, turning on the taps, adjusting by fiddling each tap, getting in to the shower, hoping the temperature didn’t change, and if it did, or to turn off the water, having to lean over the room dripping water everywhere. 

Hope that helps someone’s decision-making. 
FA18B2F8-9636-421F-BB8C-E4F27B3A1F86.thumb.jpeg.57acf190ee7702fd2a66110223842d20.jpeg

The siting of mine was down to where the pipes ran, to have the bar on the bulkhead by the riser would have meant drilling two large holes through the floor supports in the saloon to run the pipes neatly, would have considered it on a broads only boat but at sea I want all the structural strength intact. 

Also if I change it the corner trim under the basin is easily remade, 2 big holes though a bulkhead isn't easy to hide.

• Like 1