Waveney River Centre

Smoggy

On 15/07/2023 at 10:30, Happy said:

When we started using it, a lot actually, as our mooring was Beccles.  Alan was the harbourmaster and lived on the Dutch boat and the bar was run by a family from Liverpool.  We had some brilliant nights there!

It had real soul in those days. Moorings were about a tenner a night and it was a no brainer given that showers were included.

The pub was a bit old school but it had real atmosphere, live music etc and was more of a 'night out' than just somewhere to buy cooked food.

There was also a reasonably well-stocked shop on site to get essentials.

If I'm out boating with the boys I'd just go to Oulton Broad instead, far more there for an enjoyable evening and I'd say there or Beccles are better bets generally now really.

Mrs OG prefers those two as well. Get a nice spot out on the pontoon at OBYS with shore power and it's still fairly quiet and a lot cheaper than WRC yet there are way more facilities.

As others have said, it's all such a shame.

• Like 4

On 15/07/2023 at 10:18, Hylander said:

Personally I would not want to be sitting in that hot tub , it is a bit public.   Yes they have put a fence around but am I wrong in thinking that there is an apartment upstairs and down or is it all 'yours' so to speak.

I think I would see that as an opportunity to see if I could offend someone by actually getting in it!

• Like 1

We used to really enjoy a night at WRC. Alan was a lovely bloke to deal with on the moorings. Plenty of comings and goings on the campsite, showers, pub, dog walking field where the church is, elsan point for those who needed it. Its a shame if it's lost. Isn't it strange how a lot of really good things change or are lost in this modern world. Hardley Dyke is another example. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

We used to really enjoy a night at WRC. Alan was a lovely bloke to deal with on the moorings. Plenty of comings and goings on the campsite, showers, pub, dog walking field where the church is, elsan point for those who needed it. Its a shame if it's lost. Isn't it strange how a lot of really good things change or are lost in this modern world. Hardley Dyke is another example. 

Hardley Dyke is a real sore point, not least of all it was a good place to dispose of your rubbish.   Quiet, good fishing when you could, pleasant walks, no minus points whatsoever and guess what , they got rid of it.   I mean you could not make it up and we are supposed to be encouraging tourism.   I think the problem is we are encouraging the wrong kind of tourism,  The Broads are not Butlins.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hylander said:

Hardley Dyke is a real sore point, not least of all it was a good place to dispose of your rubbish.   Quiet, good fishing when you could, pleasant walks, no minus points whatsoever and guess what , they got rid of it.   I mean you could not make it up and we are supposed to be encouraging tourism.   I think the problem is we are encouraging the wrong kind of tourism,  The Broads are not Butlins.

Is that not Langley Dyke?

• Like 3