Waveney River Centre

Smoggy

Waveney-River-Centre-outside-area-with-hot-tub.thumb.jpg.8c834d4d26aad2543a99da94eaabb7ba.jpgTouring3.jpg.d9ecbd587913d8042a0cfa76b612347a.jpgDN5A1092copy.thumb.jpg.d3a7f1b739e9b2aee77aaf192e7732e5.jpg

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Now no dayboat hire, no camping, basin is only boat sales so very few visitors moorings. 

Don't know if the pub will last although at a Friday lunchtime it's surprisingly busy.

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Do you think these people who take over our favourite spots read a book named ' How to Kill off a Business in 100 days'.        

22 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

You don't do day boats, you don't do camping, you don't do moorings. What do you do?

The pub/ hotel should be busy. There is more that one way to skin a cat and less hassle than boats:-

Touring caravans and RVs

Luxury holiday appartments

& Lodges.

Look at their offering photos on their web site, pretty impressive accomodation.

• Like 1

No disrespect intended to a previous WRC owner but I personally felt a disservice was done to the place when the Waveney Inn was poshed up and the Tenants of that time departed.  They used to put a lot on for campers, boaters and other visitors during the busy periods and it all fitted with the general ambience of the site.

To be fair the campsite did often look a bit of a mess but I did enjoy seeing other people come and go while enjoying their family holidays.

I wonder how much private mooring fees have rocketed since we were there nigh on 9 years ago now.  I dread to think!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Perhaps someone  will take it on and hopefully have better customer  care skills.

Tingdene have already taken it on……………..

29 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I wonder how much private mooring fees have rocketed since we were there nigh on 9 years ago now.  I dread to think!!

All info on the Tingdene website, doubt if there is any comparison to 9 years ago! 

48 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

No disrespect intended to a previous WRC owner but I personally felt a disservice was done to the place when the Waveney Inn was poshed up and the Tenants of that time departed.  They used to put a lot on for campers, boaters and other visitors during the busy periods and it all fitted with the general ambience of the site.

To be fair the campsite did often look a bit of a mess but I did enjoy seeing other people come and go while enjoying their family holidays.

I think you're right. The change did take the pub a bit more upmarket in terms of its appearance, but really the soul of the place also went with it.

• Like 2

I always stopped off there when South , enjoyed a swim ( being the athlete that I am 😆) Was great to have a long hot shower and work off some off the holiday indulgences. Then reward myself with a coup!e of beers . Had an exceptionally good night fishing one year there also . Some proper specimens in abundance, it lasted a good couple of hours .

Going back years , there was a great wee family room as well .

The old rough and ready pubs of the broads were part of its charm . Good honest people in them , playing pool , darts, dominoes and the like . Chicken in a basket or a steak pie 😋

I don't take well to change , it's certainly not always for the better .😓

• Like 6

We are currently moored at WRC, first visit since 2021, very saddened to see the changes. I knew it had been sold but didn’t realise until I turned up the basin was now no entry and full of boats for sale. 
We always made a point of stopping here as the kids loved the pool and always made friends with kids from the campsite. Sad to see no tents and none of the live aboards here, the shop is also gone and now just a small part of the pub. Appears to be only another 2 visitor boats here, have seen a few people viewing boats for sale though, despite the weather!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I was planning on having a night there this week if Breydon water is open. We always used it as a stop over before going to Beccles. As said it was interesting watching the campers come and go. The pub was OK and we enjoyed walking the dog around the field next to the church. 

• Like 1

Anyone remembers the waveney river centre some ten plus years ago. Tony was the owner. Doug (RIP) organised the visitors moorings and lived on site part time in a caravan with his wife. Great times then it was always busy, the pub was always full in the evenings - food in the restaurant was good.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, DaveRolaves said:

Anyone remembers the waveney river centre some ten plus years ago. Tony was the owner. Doug (RIP) organised the visitors moorings and lived on site part time in a caravan with his wife. Great times then it was always busy, the pub was always full in the evenings - food in the restaurant was good.

When we started using it, a lot actually, as our mooring was Beccles.  Alan was the harbourmaster and lived on the Dutch boat and the bar was run by a family from Liverpool.  We had some brilliant nights there!

• Like 3

We went to the Waveney Centre for a  long weekend a few years ago. The mooring basin was fine although we had a few near misses with less than competent  helming so it wasn't the most relaxing place we ever stayed.We went to the pub for dinner. It was truly dreadful,  resembling a holiday camp cafeteria in every way. No offence to holiday to camps but not what we expected or wanted. It was so bad that the following evening we paid a small fortune for a  mini bus to take us into Beccles  to have dinner.

Carole

• Like 1

I have to agree with you there about holiday camp food, it's not the best by far but my kids love it. When we were away at a holiday camp a while back I asked them if they wanted to eat at the bar or me to cook them something, we ate at the bar most nights :facepalm:x

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I have to agree with you there about holiday camp food, it's not the best by far but my kids love it. When we were away at a holiday camp a while back I asked them if they wanted to eat at the bar or me to cook them something, we ate at the bar most nights :facepalm:x

Is it true that to get some peace while cooking you take the battery out of the smoke alarm? :default_tongue:

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 15/07/2023 at 10:30, Happy said:

When we started using it, a lot actually, as our mooring was Beccles.  Alan was the harbourmaster and lived on the Dutch boat and the bar was run by a family from Liverpool.  We had some brilliant nights there!

We had a caravan on site for many years and knew Doug and his wife Ruby very well. Also Tony bless him passed away as we went to his service in the village. There was so many other great boaters and caravan owner characters we all had some brilliant times together,

Very happy times Mike, Jacky and the family

• Like 2
  • Love 1