Broom Owners Club - Is Anyone Here A Member ?

Bikertov

Now that I am the proud owner of a Broom 29 Sedan, I was thinking of joining the Broom Owners club.

Their website has quite limited access unless you are a member, so it is not easy to see the benefits of membership

So I was wondering if anyone on here was a member, and if they think it is worth it to join ?

• Like 1

Was the boat definitely built by Broom? As in was she fitted out by them and has the black 'C J Broom and Sons Ltd' plaque at the helm along with a build number and the correct Broom badges on the cabin sides (I've seen many boats with fake ones added).

There are a lot of those boats about, all were moulded by Aquafibre and they were fitted out by various yards (partly because Broom couldn't build enough for LeBoat) such as Darragh, Haines, Shannon Yachtfitters and others as well as Broom.

On top of that, the moulds were available for any other yard to fit out.

Some of the fitouts look very similar to a Broom, some are quite similar and others are very different. Brokerage listings pretty much always say 'Broom' because most of them don't know any better.

I know that BOC only allows owners of genuine Brundall builds to join.

• Like 3

Just spotted your other post and given the treadmaster colour and the badge size and position she looks like one of the old hirefleet?

Given the number of hull vents (which I assume have been replaced) I would guess she is one of the later ones, Cadet 4 or 5?

I've still got the broker's details with some other images. There's no build panel on the lower right helm, but it's possible it might have been relocated on the left in the companionway down from the cockpit - possibly to allow fitting of the bow thruster control.

I think your spotting skills may be on point again oldgregg. Does look remarkably like a Cadet. It has the same Broom branded engine panel as Cadet 1, which sold at Summercraft a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

Wow - you are spot on @oldgregg !

From the paperwork I have, there is the original build certificate signed my Mr Broom, and other paperwork saying she was Cadet 5, and had Broads registration  50D

There is a build plaque at the helm showing build no. 29/55, and that number also appears on some of the floor hatches too.

She is shown on Craigs list here:  http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=479 and the history there tallies with the dated of various Bills of Sale I have.

Discussing this with Mouldy over the last few months, it would certainly appear that she is a Broom fitted out boat

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dom said:

I've still got the broker's details with some other images. There's no build panel on the lower right helm, but it's possible it might have been relocated on the left in the companionway down from the cockpit - possibly to allow fitting of the bow thruster control.

I think your spotting skills may be on point again oldgregg. Does look remarkably like a Cadet. It has the same Broom branded engine panel as Cadet 1, which sold at Summercraft a couple of years ago.

The build plaque is indeed on the left, down the steps by the galley

If you look at the brokers listing, you can make it out below the lightswitch in the close-up picture of the helm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Now that I am the proud owner of a Broom 29 Sedan, I was thinking of joining the Broom Owners club.

Their website has quite limited access unless you are a member, so it is not easy to see the benefits of membership

So I was wondering if anyone on here was a member, and if they think it is worth it to join ?

Hi ,I'm involved with the Broom  owners club and there is limited access to our website for none members.  However its only £30 per year and for this you will receive 2 colourful magazines per year and have access to our recommended suppliers with discounts plus being able to attend many events/ presentations etc.  Any further assistance please contact me,  we have over 500 members and we certainly would welcome you aboard with your vessel.  

Regards Keith 

Vice chairman and Technical advisor 

Broom owners club 

• Like 2

We went on the jubilee Padgent with them last year, some owners were very friendly some not so. We felt that the club was more for the sea going jobbies than the older broads based boats. I can give you the contact details of one of the committee members if you want to have a chat with someone. 

They are planning a big get together next August at Brundall I think it’s the 75th year anniversary. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

We went on the jubilee Padgent with them last year, some owners were very friendly some not so. We felt that the club was more for the sea going jobbies than the older broads based boats. I can give you the contact details of one of the committee members if you want to have a chat with someone. 

They are planning a big get together next August at Brundall I think it’s the 75th year anniversary. 

Thanks - please do give me their details if they are OK with that

Not sure I could make it out of the Wash, around the coast and into Brundall though ...

There is a new post that has been approved  that has appeared in the middle of the thread.

On 24/10/2023 at 15:03, escapeo said:

Hi ,I'm involved with the Broom  owners club and there is limited access to our website for none members.  However its only £30 per year and for this you will receive 2 colourful magazines per year and have access to our recommended suppliers with discounts plus being able to attend many events/ presentations etc.  Any further assistance please contact me,  we have over 500 members and we certainly would welcome you aboard with your vessel.  

Regards Keith 

Broom owners club 

• Thanks 1

On 24/10/2023 at 15:03, escapeo said:

Regards Keith 

Broom owners club 

It was great to chat with you the other day Keith (@escapeo). Following on from that, you will see I have now joined up, and look forward to receiving the various membership details in due course.