Calorifier Connection

• MargeandParge changed the title to Calorifier Connection
3 minutes ago, Happy said:

Sorry.  Bit thick.  Whats a PRV

Pressure relief valve.

And yes, you can use PTFE but pipework in a boat is normally done with compression fittings, using a copper or brass olive to make the seal.

In that case you do not put any other sealant, tape or compound in the fitting, but rely on the olive to do what it is supposed to do.

• Like 2

Most new build houses have had push fit connections and poly pipe for years. I am not a big fan of it unless it is properly clipped. It does make alterations easier for a non plumber and is an improvement on copper pipe that has deteriorated in quality since the 70s.

My boats have all had poly pipe in some areas, Whitey is all poly. It does have better resistance to splitting in freezing weather.

I always replace a push fit fitting if it has to be removed or altered.

• Like 3

Hi If the PRV is being screwed onto a tapered fitting on top of the tank use 3 1/2 turns of PT tape wrapped in clockwise direction, it is good practice to direct the outlet side via a pipe to the outer hull or bilge as when the release valve opens the small amount of water will not stain or wet any surfaces you want to keep clean. John 

• Thanks 1