Clarkson's Farm

For anyone who isn't already aware, Clarkson's Farm Series 3 has just been released on Amazon Prime. Episodes 1-4 now, with the rest in a week if I understand correctly.

The only trouble I find with things like this on demand is resisting the urge to binge watch the whole lot in one go.

If anyone has not watched series 1-2 because they don't like Clarkson, I'd urge you to give it a go. You see another side to him and it's worth watching for Kaleb and Gerald alone.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, dom said:

For anyone who isn't already aware, Clarkson's Farm Series 3 has just been released on Amazon Prime. Episodes 1-4 now, with the rest in a week if I understand correctly.

The only trouble I find with things like this on demand is resisting the urge to binge watch the whole lot in one go.

If anyone has not watched series 1-2 because they don't like Clarkson, I'd urge you to give it a go. You see another side to him and it's worth watching for Kaleb and Gerald alone.

With you on that one!  Gerald is hilarious and Kaleb is a star.  I watched the first series with trepidation, but was instantly hooked.

Cant help thinking that his local council don’t like Jezzer very much, though.

• Like 3

Nor many local residents who've had their lives and locale turned upside down.

But agreed, it's a good watch for the other two personalities. How they put up with him is anyone's guess! He hasn't put the farming community in a particularly caring light; of the soil or of the environment or of their produce.

• Like 2

We went to Didley Squat farm a couple of weeks ago. I was very disappointed hardly anything in the shop and long waits for the bar and food truck. The car park is also a mess with massive potholes causing cars to bottom out. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

He hasn't put the farming community in a particularly caring light; of the soil or of the environment or of their produce.

It's funny how people's views differ. Amongst the members of the farming community I know, it has been viewed as very positive, helping to convey the issues farmers face.

It'll be interesting to see this series, as I suspect there may be more focus on those aspects. He's raising pigs this series - something which was common around here, but which has reduced significantly, as it became a loss-making exercise due to supermarket price pressures and foreign imports pre-covid.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, dom said:
2 hours ago, kpnut said:

He hasn't put the farming community in a particularly caring light; of the soil or of the environment or of their produce.

It's funny how people's views differ. Amongst the members of the farming community I know, it has been viewed as very positive, helping to convey the issues farmers face.

Agreed, he has shone a very good light on the issues, particularly the financial, isolation and mental health issues in the industry.
I was referring more to his actual practices, wrecking the very environment providing his income.
His supposed inability to think a project through without some disaster is taken as a joke amongst my farming friends. I say ‘supposed’ because I would hazard a guess that most of it is staged for the tv. But it still does a lot of damage. 
He got a digger or similar stuck and gouged out a massive bit of ground getting it out. Anyone with any sense wouldn’t have put it there in the first place. He sold blighted potatoes with a big smile, thinking he was clever to put them in a sack so no-one could see. 

Pig farming comes and goes in cycles. If you catch it on the up, don’t invest too heavily in infrastructure that cannot be adapted for other enterprises later, and then get out at the top of the market, you do well. 

I prefer James Rebanks; he has also shone a light on the plight of British farming but actually knows his stuff. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kpnut said:

Nor many local residents who've had their lives and locale turned upside down.

But agreed, it's a good watch for the other two personalities. How they put up with him is anyone's guess! He hasn't put the farming community in a particularly caring light; of the soil or of the environment or of their produce.

I’m sure the crowds of visitors have caused some issues for some of the locals, but I also suspect some of the locals will love the fact didley squat is so popular, I.e. local pubs, shops etc.

if his local council had allowed him to build a suitable car park when he first applied I’m sure the traffic issues wouldn’t be as bad today.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tobster said:

if his local council had allowed him to build a suitable car park when he first applied I’m sure the traffic issues wouldn’t be as bad today.

The lanes round there are very small. Bit like living in Cornwall with large unsuitable vehicles trying to pass each other and churning up verges etc. 

• Like 1

Just sat down to watch a couple of episodes. Unsurprisingly, got drawn in and ended up bingeing all 4 of the episodes released so far.

It's good to see more of Lisa this series. It was obvious in previous series that she wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty, but the more it goes on, the more evident it becomes that she's a real grafter. Just hope we see more Gerald in the 2nd half next week.

Whenever I look at TV schedules, it's usually with a sense of dismay at the lack of anything worth watching. Half the time, I think it's me, and I've just grown out of it - but then this proves otherwise. I don't know if it's Clarkson or Andy Wilman's influence, but to me it's so much better than the majority of TV these days.

The shop obviously does cause some issues with traffic, but I'd suggest it's probably no worse than the shops up the North Norfolk coast at Burnham Deepdale in peak season - and obviously made a lot worse by the repeated and needless refusal of planning.

• Like 3