Horning Boat Show

Best wishes to everyone who is at the boat show today. The weather seems set fair.

Have a lovely day, support those local businesses and stay safe by the water.

• Like 5

Had a wander round for an hour or so, chatted with Clive and then Rob from Sutton Staithe boatyard.  Admired the woodies and now I’m cruising down the Ant in the sunshine.  
Good weekend so far!

IMG_2073.jpeg

IMG_2072.jpeg

IMG_2071.jpeg

IMG_2069.jpeg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, dom said:

Is the Southern Comfort moored on the Swan's quay?

Yes it’s been moved up a bit from its usual spot. Still boats moored on the public moorings.

John 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

Yes it’s been moved up a bit from its usual spot. Still boats moored on the public moorings.

It's really noticeable how much space that frees up if you allowed stern on mooring there all the time. Can't help but wonder if that'd be more beneficial to both the local shops and the Swan. Last time I was there, it seemed like most people going on trips seemed to get straight off coaches and straight on board without visiting either. Losing a space or two in front of the Swan, but gaining 8 or so stern on would probably increase footfall in the village quite a lot.

I've got a photo somewhere of me stood in front of Southern Comfort on her original mooring outside the Hotel Wroxham, when she was fairly new. She must be coming up for her 50th birthday around now.

It's great that they've had such nice weather for the show. Pretty lucky given some of the weather lately.

• Like 5

Stern on mooring is banned ( except for dayboats)  at the Swan because it's on a bend and the river is only 108 ft wide there.

Also with the river narrowing there the tide can be quite strong up to 3 or 4 mph in either direction.. can you imagine a hirer in a 40footer with and hours experience coming down from Hoveton trying the manoeuvre? It's quite a comedy show watching the day boats attempt it..

With a boat moored parallel on the other side, you park a 45ft hire boat stern on from Swan green down to the far end of the parish Staithe  , you've halved the width of the river.

Having seen Thomas the tank engine going round that corner yesterday he took a lot more than 50ft width in his drifting sideways turn.

image.thumb.png.84067174b7d717737a3c4edd95241376.png

The Swan Green is owned by the pub ( as is the parking) the loss of income to the pub from a 365 hire of the Southern comforts mooring will more than exceed the loss of a few dinners in the pub from more boats in the summer season.

As it is they don't seem to be in too much of a hurry to fix the pub frontage moorings. The southern comfort was moored there as the public aren't allowed to walk in the quay heading.

As for the show I thought it went very well.

The sailing club I believe had over 100 takers for the try sailing, that's not including the accompanied children who went free..

Several people enquired about membership..

Our Tea bar did very well, twice a car had to go fetch more supplies..

I handed out around 200 radar station leaflets, and around 100 model Railway show leaflets which only went to those who expressed an interest.

Luckily no one got a picture of me in my kilt!! That got a few comments.. mostly from Scots..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

As for the show I thought it went very well.

The sailing club I believe had over 100 takers for the try sailing, that's not including the accompanied children who went free..

Several people enquired about membership..

Our Tea bar did very well, twice a car had to go fetch more supplies..

I handed out around 200 radar station leaflets, and around 100 model Railway show leaflets which only went to those who expressed an interest.

Luckily no one got a picture of me in my kilt!! That got a few comments.. mostly from Scots..

We did did see and talk to you early morning we had a yellow Labrador. What an amazing friendly bunch everybody was over there we were very impressed.

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't make it/help out as it was my grandson's birthday but the club Facebook posts sound like it was an excellent day and the Galley was very busy!

• Like 1