The Return Of The Kiwis

Isn’t there some sort of consultation going on over use of the land around the Broads? Having the paths accessible would be a good start! I must try to find a link the news story. I think I may have spotted it on one of the ‘New Name’ lady’s YouTube news items. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grendel said:

this is why some of us now carry battery strimmers, or shears to help keep those pathways clear.

I did a bit of shearing at the Horning church mooring this afternoon. Just enough to stop getting totally soaked by the dripping wet vegetation that was so laden with rainwater that it was arching right across the path. I appreciate that this is a private path so didn’t want to do too much, just enough. 

A couple of weeks ago I commented on the path leading from Ludham Bridge up to Neaves Mill, as it was completely impassable, even though the bit  up from Neaves Mill past Griffs Corner to the track had been mown really effectively. Not knowing who the path belonged to, and knowing it was neither BA nor County Council responsibility, I enquired at Horning Parish Council, also commenting that the path is the only way of walking from Horning to St Benets without walking on a main road. Although the clerk is still making enquiries on my behalf, I have a feeling the path has now been cleared. It looked like it at the Neaves mill end as I went past this morning. Later this week I’ll moor up and investigate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

when I was at Horning church the other week I cleared the nettles away from round the seats and cleared the weeds off the wooden walkway, thats where I met the local who carried a pair of secateurs to help keep the pathway clear too, so it seems its the done thing to help keep things clear there.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your very kind good wishes and congratulations. 

Andrew, i think the bench settee must have been reupholstered as everyone who has sat on it have remarked on how comfortable it is. The helm seat, however, is a different matter. I think it must be the original foam from the boats commissioning and provides no comfort for my old butt at all! 

We have continued to pootle about, getting only rarely above 1400 revs and loving the atmosphere of the rivers and Broads. The fishing has been variable with some vety good days. At Thurn Dyke i caughtwhat i believed to be a mullet of about 3 pound. I have not heard of them being caught before. Are they a common catch?

Cheers

Chris

• Like 2

Hi, Grounded I'm very glad you and your good lady wife are having a pleasant time. Thank you for that Information about the Settee on Swan Romance she's a very nice Boat to have. As for Fishing that is a rare catch. In my Day a Long time ago Eel's were a pest to catch and snarling up my bloomy Line and Hook Enjoy your peaceful  :default_stinky:

Along the Broads.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grounded said:

T

The fishing has been variable with some vety good days. At Thurn Dyke i caughtwhat i believed to be a mullet of about 3 pound. I have not heard of them being caught before. Are they a common catch?

Cheers

Chris

No they are not a common catch on the broads so well done. They are not totally unheard of but the odd ones that are caught now and again, are usually further downstream nearer brackish water. What has been getting caught fairly often of late is Bass. There is a guy, don't know if he is a forum member, but he keeps his boat at Stalham, who actually targets them. I was fortunate to meet him under the Haddiscoe flyover one morning when I was out with my dogs and we had a pleasant chat.      

Well this is the last night of our 3 week trip. The Broads have been as enchanting as ever, but the weather has proved a real downer, not what we had hoped for at all. Still managed to get plenty of fishing in, but Lyn has missed out on her walking quite a bit. We hope to get back in 2026. Fingers crossed we are still fit enough.

Until then, cheerio and thanks for being so welcoming.

Cheers

Chris and Lyn

• Like 7
  • Love 1

That went quickly. As you say, the weather’s been a right pain.

If you’re passing Neaves Mill/Griff’s Corner in the morning on your way up to Stalham, give us all a wave. Mind you, you’d probably be going past before I’m up. And even more probably, you’re further up the river already. 

Hi,kpnut, we actually passed last night. We planned to overnight on Sutton Staithe and we snagged a good mooring. But when we tried to book a table at the inn, there was no room!! So our fall back was to head for the boatyard and eat at the Swan. Great pub, excellent food. All went smoothly at handover and as we used only 80 litres of fuel ( pootling pays) we got a refund. We are now bunking at a friends in Leicestershire for a few days before flying home.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 6