Aerials

Ok folks I know this has been done to death but I've been away,, The Mrs wants a Tele on the boat, but now it's all gone digital what is the best Aerial to use, the one that came with the boat looks like a normal domestic one but it's broken, I pressume I now need a digital one but looking on Maplins they do ones for strong signal areas and low signal areas am I right in thinking the Broads are low signal and will a normal domestic digital aerial be ok, on other boats I tried those omni directional ones from the cheap ones to the do everything expensive ones I even had signal boosters as well but in all honesty the best picture I got was from one of those suckered ones that I borrowed from a guy on a hire boat, so any advice Perlease,,,

Regards Frank,,,

I had the same dilema but on the Thames so started a thread on ybw.com http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300630.

Although I'm yet to try my system out on the water cos I'm boatless til early May, I'm hoping this will give me what I want http://www.maplin.co.uk/camping-and-car ... tem-217921.

Talking to other boaters on the Thames, trees are the biggest problem when trying to get a signal. Better to point to the stars rather than trying to go almost horizontal trying to find a TV mast. But then again the Broads ain't got many trees :dance . Loss of signal, again according to other boaters, doesn't become a problem unless the dish is on top of a flybridge and swaying from side to side.

Bearing in mind I also want recpetion on the Broads, the dish option seemd a cheap(ish) punt ;) .

am I right in thinking the Broads are low signal and will a normal domestic digital aerial be ok, on other boats I tried those omni directional ones from the cheap ones to the do everything expensive ones I even had signal boosters as well but in all honesty the best picture I got was from one of those suckered ones that I borrowed from a guy on a hire boat

The TV reception situation on the Broads has changed dramatically since last November when Tacolneston was boosted to ten times the previous signal strength when analogue was finally switched off.

All previous TV reception experiences, both aerial types and locations are now invalid.

As DF has already said, cheap omni-directionals now work here very well 95% of the time, where previously they were almost useless. They're much smaller and more convenient to use, being less obtrusive and making permanent installations possible, unlike house type multi director arrays. They don't need alignment each time they're used from a new mooring, work well while on a swinging mudweight, and can even be used on the move, though admittedly that would be a travesty whilst cruising the Broads !

We have used that company for the aerial onboard Evening Shadow and they are very helpful but one word of warning about the DM log Periodic they recommend-it is rather long which makes storing difficult. It worked well to begin with (analogue days) but a couple of years later it is a bit battered and bruised as the fins get bent etc and this certainly impaired its performance. I have not used it since the digital switchover so don't know how it performs now. I also see they now do a shorter version which might be a better bet.

Nothing yet! But if the Thunder one prices successful next week it will be my suggestion to replace it with the one from Brian Wards. This is also the one used by Moonlight Shadow who also report favourably.

I saw your post above and we don't use a booster but the aerial is on a pole from the centre cockpit so naturally sits high which must help.

I found the site before I saw it posted here and rang the guy this morning, after reading up I had it down to either the DM log periodic or the Log 40, The guy couldn't have been more helpful but some of the stuff was a bit too techy for me, I told him I was on the Norfolk Broads and would be on a boat, he asked me to hang on a second while he checked signals and other stuff for the Broads, he came back and said the best one for me now is the Log 40, something to do with the signals changing lately anyway I ordered one at £22 plus 10mtrs of cable and the extension pole kit, While talking to him I asked about the Onmi Directional Aerials after lots more techy stuff he said the best place for them is in the bin, After I told him I travel all over the Northern Broads and the wife can't do without her soaps he asked he If I could make a few notes and keep him updated on how the Log 40 performs, once I get out properly I'll do that and post here how it goes and hopefully post it here as well,,

Regards Frank,,

As long as It works John i'll be happy, personaly I don't watch much TV so could do without one on the boat, but at least I'll get a couple of hours peace and quite while the wife watches her soaps so it has an upside,,,

Regards Frank,,,

Well! the new aerial arrived today all I can say at this point is I'm glad i have a bit forward locker, it must be 4ft 6in long, I've had a few aerials in the past but this is by far the best made one so far, just need to find out if it works, looking at it I think I should be able to pick up the Mir space station,,

Regards Frank,,,

Can you post a few pics Frank when it's all together showing the mount and pole arrangement? I for one am interested in how it mounts and performs as at the moment I've got a Maplins dish set up that I haven't even taken out of the box. One thing I have realised is that I don't know where I'm going to put the separate decoder box as there's no spare shelving left in the boat - damn.

Can you post a few pics Frank when it's all together showing the mount and pole arrangement? I for one am interested in how it mounts and performs as at the moment I've got a Maplins dish set up that I haven't even taken out of the box. One thing I have realised is that I don't know where I'm going to put the separate decoder box as there's no spare shelving left in the boat - damn.

A close up of the aerial is here: http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlineaerials.html#Log40

And here's how it looks on Friday Girl:

post-508-136713896297_thumb.jpg

If you click on the pic you'll see it a bit better. I bought the mast, clamps and aerial socket from Norwich Camping: http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/

I'll take a pic on Monday when I visit the boat of the attachment and socket.

Hi John, I've zoomed into your photo but can't see how the aerial's mounted on Friday Girl. Seems to be sitting in the air on the forward door cover lol.

Setfair! I just measured it and it's 52in long in total, which looks a lot longer than Johns unless it's the Angle of the piccie for once in my life I can say mines bigger than yours,, I think the DM log periodic comes in two sizes, it's odd because the site recommends the log periodic for boats and caravans but the email I got back from him recommended the the Log 40, and I specifically told him it was for a boat and I travel all over the Northern Broads, It will be a few weeks before I get it up and running and I want to move the mounting point more central on the aerial, I just think 52 inches of aerial in front of the original mounting point will put to much strain on the bracket, pole and mounting point, so I have to find a different bracket for it,,

Regards Frank,,,

Frank, Hi

I've put my tape measure alongside my camera for tomorrow's visit to the boat but I think our aerial is the same size as yours... warch this space!

I doubt you'll be able to fit a central attachment point as the top and bottom arrays are seperated by insulators. If you do then pls let me know how you've done it!

If it's very windy I usually put a light guy-line from the pole attachment end of mine to any convenient tie-down handle on the boat.

John! just been looking at it and the end fixing bracket forms part of the circuit, as the bracket is pop rivited my idea is to drill the rivets out and move it more central. the gap between the two arms is 10mm so I'll need to find a 10mm spacer for the end where the bracket was, 10 minutes to do the job! 3 days to find my pop riviter,,, :dance

Regards Frank,,,,

John! just been looking at it and the end fixing bracket forms part of the circuit, as the bracket is pop rivited my idea is to drill the rivets out and move it more central. the gap between the two arms is 10mm so I'll need to find a 10mm spacer for the end where the bracket was, 10 minutes to do the job! 3 days to find my pop riviter,,, :dance

Regards Frank,,,,

That sounds a great idea, Frank... did you ask the guy at Aerialsandtv if it would affect the performance?