needing advice

Guest Jonny

Evening NBN

needing some advice please

while on holiday we will be needing to drop my uncle off at norwich train station on the outskirts there is a small stretch of moorings near a water park thing about 5 mins from norwich yacht station question is the train bridge will it lift at 5am for a hire boat ??? as my uncle need to get the 5:30am train to oxford for his up coming spinal op to remove a turmor on his spine :cry:

second question whats the little sports water park just before norwich its just before a small yard on the left

thanks Jonny

Hi Jonny, I can't advice on the bridge lift but i can offer an alternative. If you moor at ba public mooring on whitlingham lane it's a 5 minute walk to the old rectory where there's a bus stop. Any of the buses leaving from here will stop next to the train station.

The park is called Whitlingham Country Park, They have a great centre which hosts various events and has sport equipment hire e.g sailing, archery, rock climbing. Heres a link to their website http://www.whitlinghamoec.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Think you may be reffering to the wittlingham water sports centre.

How tall is you boat jonny as from memory you won't need a bridge lift if you are under 9'6"

Unless you are going up the side bit with the new bridge. Not sure what that does as I have never been up there but don't think it is rail so it should swing.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Think you may be reffering to the wittlingham water sports centre.

How tall is you boat jonny as from memory you won't need a bridge lift if you are under 9'6"

Unless you are going up the side bit with the new bridge. Not sure what that does as I have never been up there but don't think it is rail so it should swing.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Hi Ian

It might be a swing bridge it's the first bridge going into Norwich I'm not shure how high challenger is I think over 9ft

Jonny

All of the bridges are listed with their air drafts and photos on the Greenbook website at http://www.thegreenbook.org.uk/

Click "green book" in the left hand menu then "bridge dimensions and type" on the page menu.

The first swing bridge into Norwich is Trowse, and as it's the main Railway line to London it has very restricted opening times, these are also shown on the NSBA website, under "notice board". It basically only opens at certain times of the day, so boats have to wait for a slot.

I don't think you'd have any problem getting under Trowse rail bridge Jonny. Plenty of hireboats get into Norwich, and we took Serenity up there a couple of times last year with no problem. Once under Trowse, you could drop your uncle off at Morrisons as it's only a couple of mins walk to the station from there.

Took our old boat up there too which was 9'6 and that cleared comfortably although I can't remember the state of tide.

Worth having a look at the tide times if you are concerned, on springs there is about 3' of range at the YS.

Not sure if you could get it to open without pre booking a slot, which would be @ about 4pm Monday - Saturday, but as Mark says I don't think there is a hire boat that wouldn't clear it on the system.

NOTICE TO MARINERS No. 5 of 2012

Opening times of Trowse Swing Bridge

Notice is hereby given that Trowse Swing Bridge opening times will be as stated below

From Sunday 20 May 2011 to Saturday 8 December 2012

Monday to Friday Saturday Sunday

10:02 09:10 09:36

11:07 11:07 11:24

14:06 14:05 14:27

16:06 16:08 17:27

Update on bridges - 13 April 2012

Trowse Bridge - Not operational

Network Rail discovered a crack on one of the scarf joints for which a replacement has to be manufactured and the current estimated time for repair is now 26th May 2012.

No train at 5am & my uncle is blind so there will be no assistance on the train personally for him & if the tide is I at 5am we won't be getting under trowse .... So looks like it maybe a taxi from the water village place where we're looking to moor..

Jonny

would it be possible to go up a little early and overnight at the yacht station ?

just in case you have to wait for the tide, which would be unusual and

that way you just have to cross the road to the station.

Rich

would it be possible to go up a little early and overnight at the yacht station ?

just in case you have to wait for the tide, which would be unusual and

that way you just have to cross the road to the station.

Rich

Hi Rich

to be honest i dont want some prats coming alone in the early hours or the morning drink or thinking its fun to slip the mooring ropes.... so i think we shall moor over night at the water park thing leave the mooring early hours & get under trowse to drop my uncle off if we cant get though the bridge ill ring him a taxi ...

Jonny