Thieves strike at Sutton and Hickling

Boaters

Sunday there is boat jumble at the Showground ,lets hope that Broads Beat will be doing their checks as usual to ensure that only genuine goods are on sale. :norty:

The boat jumble was last Sunday.

I can confirm that the Broadsbeat team were out in force, and I expect every outboard there was checked against their list of stolen items.

Today news of large thefts of fuel from boats in Brundal .a locking cap may help ,but heard yesterday of a boat that had its locking cap smashed causing hundreds of pounds of damage ,so nothing seems full proof :naughty:

link

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/red_d ... _1_2022114

The forum member who put a valve in the filler line has to be the best idea i have heard. simple and very effective.

Hello Roy & Diane,

They are retro fitted into the necks of the fuel tubes and are a fairly cheap option.

If memory serves me correctly they come in a couple of tube sizes.

We had the lockable fitted to help stop anything being put into the tanks, I am fitting a lockable cap onto the water inlet next week that I bought to match.

These and the Vetus anti syphon can be purchased from ASAP.

Regards

Alan

Possibly unrelated to op but there was a boat acting very shady tonight. A white rowing boat with a 2-5hp honda outboard pulled into the basin an hour ago, i flicked the lights on to see who it was but as soon as i did they spun the boat and shot off out of the basin, i walked over to the main river to se where the boat was going and saw it slow down and cut the engine next to the boats moored under the bridge. Whoever it was waited there about 5mins before pulling a torch out to have a look around so i kept hidden but watching. Unfortunately i couldn't see too much so made a bit of noise then went back to the boat, sure enough they shot off down the river (with no lights on may i add). It wasn't a boat or person i recognised from the area so all seemed a bit off to me. Couldn't see a ba registration either.

Branden :pirate

From your detailed observations Branden, I can't think of any logical answer other than it being someone on a thieving mission.

Lucky you were on your boat at the time, (and for the owners of the nearby boats too).

Have you reported the incident to Broads Beat and the BA ?

Even that sketchy description could give them some help, it may correlate with other suspicious sightings and help them track the culprits.

With regards to the stolen fuel more than likely it will have to be syphoned or pumped into a boat and more than a rowing boat or tender because of the amount of fuel stolen. The fuel stolen from Brundall a few weeks ago must have weighed over half a ton and by the sounds of it the same could be said of one of the boats fuel taken from boat sales compound during their closed season.

We need to all look out for any boats behaving in a strange manner and report then, I know that there are loads of small boats going about there normal business stopping at boats carrying out repairs or even towing boats etc, but most of us know our marina's and also know the boats used by the yards.

Regards

Alan

We have had lockable caps put on both of our fuel tanks but have also had the Vetus fuel safe anti syphon tubes fitted in the fuel tubes.Regards Alan

I've looked at the fuel safe, Alan, but what's to stop them just bashing it into the tank with a metal rod/chisel/screwdriver?

Same with a lockable cap where they can cause a lot of damage.... as Diane wrote: Today news of large thefts of fuel from boats in Brundall .a locking cap may help ,but heard yesterday of a boat that had its locking cap smashed causing hundreds of pounds of damage ,so nothing seems fool proof :cry:cry