jills resto golden light 3

jillR

• 2 months later...

today a little more was done to repair some of the hopper windows.

there were signs of leaks starting between the sill and the cabin sides, a common problem with hopper windows of

this age.

luckily the problem has not been too difficult to cure.

the sill (dont know what its proper name is) was removed and repaced after the area was cleaned up.

we did the galley and the aft cabin windows, the rest are ok.

one more small forward cabin one may need doing in the spring.

some inside varnishing is hapening to but i am reluctant to do much due to the temperature and humidity.

post-115-136713601752_thumb.jpg

post-115-136713602016_thumb.jpg

post-115-136713602038_thumb.jpg

today a little more was done to repair some of the hopper windows.

there were signs of leaks starting between the sill and the cabin sides, a common problem with hopper windows of

this age.

I have been told they were a problem from new :lol:

a common mod was to make a drip tray which ran the water behind the linings (creating another problem)

I keep getting told to put anodised aluminium frames in my boat but am holding off untill I get properly wound up by wet things :)

Its good to see more progress, well done cheers

hi clive

a common mod was to make a drip tray which ran the water behind the linings
:o:o:o nasty

i thought the original drain holes to the outside were made too small aswell so ive enlarged them and smeared them

well in sikaflex rubbed well in.

i was tempted to cut the drain holes completely open.

jill

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Jill, i`ve just read this thread, and i think you`ve done a fantastic job. I`ve read clives thread, and he`s done a truly fantastic job, but he has had the huge luxury (as he himself has said), of first class facillities and work force. Nevertheless, he has put in some effort, and the results are fantastic. You however have NOT had the luxury of those facilities, and have still achieved excellent results. Golden Light is a real credit to you and all YOUR hard work, and it would be a shame to see her go to somebody else who may have all good intentions, but not give her the love and attention you have. Regards and much admiration............. Neil.

• 1 month later...

yay, ive found the old aft well deck canopy to use for a pattern

now ill have to look for a suitable machine to sew a new one on as i bought the material a couple of

years back.

if i can find a better seamstress that wont charge me to much it would probably be far better.

jill

• 1 month later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Well Jill, the warmer weather has been here for a few weeks now, so there`s no excuse :lol::lol: . Have you been back on the resoration work yet, and if so, what have you done?. Regards ..................Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

hi neil

the open aft well deck is nearly complete now

the new locker needs its iroko trim stripes around the top edge

and the iroko top back board needs sanding varnishing and fixing in place.

gaps at the top and bottom of the new locker have been left for ventilation.

the new locker has 2 shelves that are not fixed so that they can be removed for storage of a spare gas bottle if wished.

and a couple more coats of paint and varnish all round to come.

post-115-136713684435_thumb.jpg

post-115-136713684471_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Let`s face it Jonny, you`ll love ANYTHING that floats down the river :lol::lol: . Seriously though, i totally agree the varnished woodwork certainly does look a real treat :clap:clap . Have you done anymore to the outside Jill, as i`d love to see what she looks like now?. Regards ..........................Neil.

hi neil

the roofs and decks have just been washed down as she was a real state after the winter.

the hull will have to wait a bit as i have a boat along side at the mo.

i have the trusty painting platform so getting right down to the water line is easy.

jill

• 1 month later...

hi neil

this is still what she looks like but may change a little soon as im hopfully going to have the roofs painted soon.

but what colour???

maybe very pale blue or cream ?

the new back awning will be dark brown.

post-115-136713697755_thumb.jpg

Hi Jill...

Pleased to see the pic of GL1 came in handy...If any of my pics are of any use to you in the future, please feel free to use as you require...I would be only too pleased to have them shared than stuck away in an draw somewhere and not appreciated.

Good to see that your resto is still coming along nicely. Are you working on the screens at the moment?

Will PM you later with an update ref SP4

Oh...and the paint for the roof 'Cream' ...with a dark brown canopy...Spot on

Best Regards

Terry

hi terry

thanks.

your pictures are wonderful :love

i like the idea of cream best to but i had problems getting the right shade

last time it turned out far to yellow for me as i wont a pale browny cream

i find white on the hull or roof looks really stark

a soft pale blue would complement the aft steps but i wouldent have naturally gone for that

the blue steps was an accident as sam had some left over and he used it to get paint on fast with the idea it would be

painted over, but i like it and it stands out in the dark which is whats need with steps.

so the roof colour debate will continue till the last second :)

the original colour was trackmark brown

jill