LAST MINUTE SUMMER BOOKINGS

SPEEDTRIPLE

Hi all, we all know that the weather last year meant bookings were down considerably, and the same goes for the beginning of THIS season, but we`ve had some really stunning weather recently, and i was wondering if it meant a sudden rapid surge in last minute bookings, perhaps Andy (Freedom) and Clive (Richardsons) can let us know if the buisness has improved as a result?.

Regards to all ........................ Neil.

If you can't sell holidays in the six weeks that the schools are off, then you are doing something terribly wrong.

That said, there have been very few operators who have not had boats sitting around during these weeks doing nothing. One yard I know had at least three (probably more) cruisers sat in over the August bank holiday.

It is not really high season that we need to concern ourselves with. It's April, May, June and early July, September and October.

I guess we are seeing a typical September booking pattern now, but what you don't get April, May and June you are unlikely to recover in September and October.

• Like 1

I got a very good deal, through Hoseasons, for a Silverline boat. About a third off for a long weekend.

Booked three weeks before date of departure.

:Stinky :Stinky :Stinky

It's not just boats. It's tourism in general. The camp sites aren't great, the caravan sites aren't great. I'm only glad that I don't let our cottages for holiday lets any more.

The EDP reported on bumper takings at places like Yarmouth because of the great weather, but few can catch up on what was lost in the early season.

There should be no reason to discount in the way that Brian J reports.

It's not just boats. It's tourism in general. The camp sites aren't great, the caravan sites aren't great. I'm only glad that I don't let our cottages for holiday lets any more.

The EDP reported on bumper takings at places like Yarmouth because of the great weather, but few can catch up on what was lost in the early season.

There should be no reason to discount in the way that Brian J reports.

agreed, but if you don't publish prices you don't appear to discount, we put our prices out and stick to them, there will be a discount from us this year but only if you book for next year..

also if you book for next year at this years prices and the price goes down then we will refund the difference..

al part of the Richardsons price promise :party:

• Like 1

We don't publish prices because we don't sell fixed dates; you can book from any night to any night and flexibility like that requires dynamic pricing based on what the customer is asking for.

However, the first price the customer sees after they've told our web site when they want to travel and how many people are going is the TOTAL hire price, including fuel deposit, waviers, etc. Any other charges are for options they may choose.

In an industry that's used to giving lower "headline" prices to attract people and then lumping fuel, waivers, insurances and other costs on a the next stage of booking which tend to add at least £100 on, I accept that this is a little unusal.

We used to publish weekly prices for boats too, but this lead to confusuon and argument over short breaks and holidays that spanned multiple price bands.

Our web site is not geared up for publicisng discounts and we've only ever really put discounts and special offers out to the thousands of people who are on our email list or who follow our Facebook page.

Some very good points there, and i`m a big fan of the price being advertised being THE ONLY price, with no hidden extras, appart from options, such as dinghies etc. You can`t cruise a boat without fuel, so why don`t other yards advertise the price with a full tank of fuel included, as well as the nessecary collision damage waiver etc?.

Regards to all .................... Neil.

• Like 1

The reason that most places advertise a price without all the add-ons is it sounds a more attractive price. When you realise you have to add on another £200 for fuel, damage waiver, car park etc the total price sounds a lot more. The fact that you can get a refund for unused fuel is not publicised enough so there is no sign of a cushion at the end of your hols. The part of it that always gets me is the charge for parking your car, as if you are not paying enough in the first place and basically they have got you by the short and curlies.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, i do agree with you on that score, and i think the same about diver insurance. The yards are pretty much tied in to a diving retainer contract, if that`s what you call it, so whether or not you pay on arrival for diver insurance is pretty much irrelavent, so why not incorperate it into the overall price.  When the services of the diver are required, it`s already payed for by the yard, as they don`t pay the diver on week by week, boat by boat basis. It`s usually a one off retainer fee, whether they need a dive or not.

As for the charge for car parking, although i`m in agreement with you, i do understand the logic behind the theory that not everybody arrives by car, so why should they have to pay for a facility they are never going to use?.

Running a busy hire fleet is a very complex issue, and there will always be fors and againsts, whichever way they operate, so the simple answer is to do a bit of homework, and investigation, and you`ll hopefully be able to find something that fits your budget, and requirements.

That said, all the hire yards are working hard to offer what they see is the best they can provide, it`s just my belief that they should cover EVERYTHING in ONE price, and then maybe offer a cashback on arrival discount if you don`t need or want everything they offer. At least that way, you will know exactly what the TOP price will always be.

Regards to all ...................... Neil.

we don't charge for diving insurance. but we do provide the diver in the event of a rope or another problem (some yards don't)

There will be a few changes to our pricing this year and also an early booking discount (where you don't have to pay I full)

We feel it is better to reward people for booking early, not late.

if you book with us before the offer comes out you will still get it. (you wont if you dont book with us :lol: )

• Like 3

I am more than happy with the price we paid and we fully took advantage of your pay £50 deposit and settle two months before, this is basically what allowed us to go for a boat like carousel. Now all paid we just need to wait for the holiday to come around.

Just need to fill that loyalty card up now!

• Like 1