Thefts - be on your guard

Oddfellow

Well, he still has a right to be angry over it. It could have been virtually prevented and a relatively low-level crime cost a lot of money to deal with as a result. That money is public money, so I have no problem with the comment by the owner.

However, the story isn't very well balanced to my mind.

The only coverage given to the ultimate success of the operating is in a quote from the police. The police have come good through all this and that's important.

Well, he still has a right to be angry over it. It could have been virtually prevented and a relatively low-level crime cost a lot of money to deal with as a result. That money is public money, so I have no problem with the comment by the owner.

However, the story isn't very well balanced to my mind.

The only coverage given to the ultimate success of the operating is in a quote from the police. The police have come good through all this and that's important.

Sorry, but I don't see why he should be taking it out on the Police. We haven't got the whole story and the EDP reporting is, as you say, very biased. That they repeated what you said to them three weeks ago was hardly constructive and, for all we know, earlier intervention at the scene by anyone knowing what was going on at the time might, just might, have prevented the crime in the first place.

I'm not sure how a crime can be 'virtually' prevented. Either it is prevented or it happens.

Sorry, but I don't see why he should be taking it out on the Police. We haven't got the whole story and the EDP reporting is, as you say, very biased. That they repeated what you said to them three weeks ago was hardly constructive and, for all we know, earlier intervention at the scene by anyone knowing what was going on at the time might, just might, have prevented the crime in the first place.

I'm not sure how a crime can be 'virtually' prevented. Either it is prevented or it happens.

I don't think the owner is taking it out on the police as such, he'd have been asked for a comment and given an honest one.

I was contacted yesterday by Peter Walsh, but couldn't speak to him immediately and he was never available when I called him back.

Poor choice of words at the end there; sorry. I meant to indicate that the crime could have been quickly stopped.

The police have accepted they got it wrong, they have apologised, they will try to learn from the experience, what is being achieved by the constant snipping from certain areas.

"Let he who be without sin cast the first stone"

Humans make mistakes and will continue to make mistakes, experience will help to minimise future mistakes but perfection and human in the same sentence, no chance.

• Like 2

Well, we reported a break in at about 1pm today and we had the police there by three to look over things. Nothing taken, but forced entry into the yard through a less than secure section of the gate (repaired now!). Dead of night, two men walking around scouting for stuff were disturbed by our security and scarpered.

It's very easy to knock the police (or anyone) when the information that's passed around has changed hands countless times.

There's plenty of thieves looking for easy pickings during these long nights, so be sure to secure your stuff properly.