Thefts - be on your guard

Oddfellow

Well I've no connections to the Police, Neil, but in my view it's the modern H&S, politically correct lot who have tied the Police's arms.

Most coppers I come across are decent hard-working blokes bound by ever-increrasing daft rules... that's NOT their fault.

Sorry John, I know you asked for this to be dropped, but I feel equally strongly about it.

I have no connections with the Police either, but I agree completely with your "Most coppers I come across are decent hard-working blokes bound by ever-increrasing daft rules"

Edited by Hockham Admiral
Section above concerned with this has been edited

It was`nt about POLITICS John, just a personal view about how i feel, especially as i hope one day, Karen and i will own OUR own boat on the broads, and would like to believe it will still be there when we arrive for a cruise.

I was just using those issues, which may i say have all been well covered in the mass media, as examples of how people are getting fed up with the actions and inactivity, of those we entrust with vitally import issues in our lives, being happy in the knowledge the police are doing the right thing being one of them.

I feel really sad to see my posts on the forum are going to be edited because a few don`t like, or agree with them, so i honestly wonder whether it`s worth me continuing to be involved anymore?.

????????????????????????????????

It was`nt about POLITICS John, just a personal view about how i feel, especially as i hope one day, Karen and i will own OUR own boat on the broads, and would like to believe it will still be there when we arrive for a cruise.

I feel really sad to see my posts on the forum are going to be edited because a few don`t like, or agree with them, so i honestly wonder whether it`s worth me continuing to be involved anymore?.

Perhaps "politics" wasn't a good word to use, Neil, but I stand by my point that this is a  Norfolk Broads forum and we are basically here to talk about all and any aspects of that.

I am a Moderator of this forum, Neil, and if I feel that anyone's post has departed from our basic ethos then I am bound to do something about it. I don't recollect doing so before with any of yours in over your last 200 posts or more!

And so, because this is just a single case, (where you have been edited) I really do hope that you will continue with your posts.

• Like 1

While in the meantime they go to ground or abroad and we never hear of them again.     Sorry but police bail is abused in a lot of cases.

I doubt if the suspects have the means to go abroad or go to ground in this instance.

It's only a guess, but the nature of the crime sounds quite different to the organised gangs that were stealing outboards around the country and then shipping them to eastern Europe.

To steal a cruiser 20 miles inland from the Sea and then blast around in the dark initially towards Norwich sounds like the marine equivalent of "TWOCing", (stealing cars without the owners consent), so I would think they were either juveniles or drunks.

Sadly though, the penalty they finally get in court will probably be far too lenient.

All the more annoying for the Police Officers that are getting so unfairly criticised over their handling of the incident.

From what I know of this, I suspect that those involved are local. Perhaps they were out for a bit of fun that went very wrong. I doubt that the punishment will be nearly harsh enough to prevent others from such actions, but I am extremely pleased that persons have been caught and that the police have achieved an initial result in this matter; let's hope that charges can be brought.

It would be a terrible shame if, having taken a lot of expensive resources and lot of public stick (not least from me), if this all came to nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Let your hope be fulfilled:

@BroadsBeat: The suspect for #Theft of the #Boat along River #Yare on 19/11/13 & found near @ThorpeIslandRes has admitted crime & is in prison. #justice

Excellent.

Probably not a very long sentence, but that message to others is far better than a warning or community service.

Thanks for the info Matt, I didn't quite understand the twitterspeak but I think I got the gist.

A short spell in the can may well be enough to set the lad/fellow straight, probably better than a longer term. Long enough to be unpleasant, not long enough to get used to it!

Depending on his age he's probably done far more damage to his future than anything else.

• Like 2

I really don't believe some people! The Police made a bad start, recovered from it, deployed resources, found the boat, arrested two alleged perpetrators, apologised to the boat owner and what does he do? Instead of graciously accepting the very public apology he has the audacity to criticise the Police for the amount of resourses they employed. "Just a waste of money", he says. What a ****!

...and I would just like to say, hindsight is a wonderful gift. Foresight is even better.

• Like 1