Fur and Feathers near Salhouse Broad

We had a lovely meal last night for Mikes birthday at the Fur and Feathers. I had liver and bacon and it's the first meal I have eaten in weeks (been off my food a bit) that I have enjoyed and cleared my plate.

Mike was in his element that they had a great selection of ales.

The suet puddings are crammed with meat, don't order it unless you have a big appetite!

It is a bit more expensive than a average pub, in my opinion, but the food is really good. The service was good also, they were really busy but still managed to look after us.

Jan

• Like 1

We visited them (by car) last September, Jan and we can heartily endorse your comments. :clap :clap :clap

A pity they don't offer the "taxy" service that the Salhouse Bell does (did?), as it's a bit too far for us to walk.

What would be really nice, and romantic, would be a trap and horse(s) that could ferry people from the broad to the pub although I am not sure if it would navigate the path through the forest (it may be wide enough for a small carriage with one horse). It could probably work if it was just along the road I suppose and make money in the busy season.

I know we would pay £5 to hop on and save the walk there.

Jan

I reckon you might get a taxi company from Wroxham or the eastern edge of Norwich (Canary on Salhouse Rd springs to mind) to take you from Salhouse Broad to Woodbastwick (where the Fur and Feather is)....

Not sure what they'd charge you, but might be worth a call for next time

We would like to take my mum on the boat and then to Salhouse to the Fur and Feathers when the weather picks up a bit, she's in her 80's and I am not sure if she could walk all that way, especially as going there is up hill. I suppose Mike could give her a piggy back, mental picture lol or alternatively maybe the taxi is a good idea lol. I will have a ring around nearer the time, thanks Jonzo.

Hi Janice

I’ve walked to the Fur and Feather numerous times both from Salhouse Broad and the ‘back’ route from Horning ferry. The Salhouse Broad route is pretty much of 2 halves, through the woods to the car park and then up the road to the pub. The woodland path is OK but gently uphill all the way and can get very muddy in places. The road is probably a bit more challenging as its uphill all the way and there is no footpath. The road has several blind bends and cars tend to travel very fast not expecting to meet people on foot. I’ve had some near misses with speeding Chelsea tractors on that stretch. The trick is to change sides on the road so as far as possible you are on the outside of the bends.

In short I think it would be a challenge for an 80 year old unless they were fairly sprightly. The taxi plan sounds good as per Jonzo’s suggestions. Wendy at Horning taxis is very good and helpful but at the wrong side of the river. Blofield Cars are also very good, we have used them a few times. Also if you moored at the opposite side to the Ferry at Horning, a taxi could in theory pick you up right next to the moorings. This road can flood in winter but should be OK in summer.

Good luck!

Hi Janice

Also if you moored at the opposite side to the Ferry at Horning, a taxi could in theory pick you up right next to the moorings. This road can flood in winter but should be OK in summer.

Good luck!

That's a good tip will definitely consider that as it will mean there is no walking for Mum. She is quite spiritedly for her age, she's still getting on buses and going shopping on her own and my younger sister often takes her to the big shopping malls, Bluewater, and they shop for hours. I don't know where she gets the energy from :-) but I wouldn't want to ever exert her really and so think we will have to have a plan in place.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Uhmm Liver and Bacon eh, we will have to give the Fur and Feathers a try in July. I just love liver & bacon and with onions for that matter. Just looked up the pub on their website, looks like a nice place, thanks for the info. cheersbar

Keith