GREY GOOSE IV and OUR 1st Trip.

Guest shaun4767

Guest shaun4767

Well I promised you all an update and some photo's of mine and Jills 1st ever trip to the Norfolk Broads so here goes.....

Day 1, We arrived at Whispering Reeds at about 2.00pm and were immediately met there by Jon and his mum. They made us feel so welcome and while Jon showed us around his mum made us a cup of tea which I thought was a really nice touch. It was then off onto Hickling Broad for some boat handling advice. Not blowing my own trumpet but I thought I was doing well until Jill took the helm and made me look stupid :oops:

Once we were confident enough we dropped Jon off and it was away into the big wide world.

post-1-136713420104_thumb.jpeg

We decided not to be to adventurous for our first time and sailed to West Somerton where we moored for the night. I have to say that both Jill and myself were totally gobsmacked by how beautiful the whole place is and as we sailed we tried to take in as much as we could. At West Somerton we got ready and visited the Lion pub. We had a meal there which we both really enjoyed and found to be good value for money. Following the pub meal we made our way back to the boat and relaxed with a glass of wine. Jill decided to take some modelling shots on GREY GOOSE herself :naughty:

post-1-136713420386_thumb.jpeg

Day 2,

We woke nice and early and I made breakfast while Jill had a shower. Once ready we set sail and made our way to the Horsey Windpump. We didn't stay long as it was packed with people trying to cram boats in every little space and I had to make the most diffucult 3 point turn of my life :o . We therefore decided to brave the famous bridge. I rang the pilot and he said there would be no problem so we made our way down to Potter Heigham. When I first saw the bridge I thought not a chance but was proved so very wrong by the skill of the bridge pilot.

post-1-136713420409_thumb.jpeg

Once through we had a nice gentle sail up to Ludham and then up to Ludham Bridge. As we turned from the river Bure onto the river Ant both Jill and myself were over the moon to spot a couple of Otters playing in the water. Unfortunately I was to slow to grab the camera but it still made our day :-D . Once at Ludham Bridge we moored for the night. We this time visited the Dog public house for another pub meal and once again we were very pleased with the food and the value for money. What was also nice was that the locals made us feel welcome.

Day 3,

We set sail around 10.00am following a nice relaxing breakfast and made our way up to Stalham and following that down to COX'S boatyard and had lunch. I then for the 1st time ever moored the boat stern on so we could fill up the water and YES I did it 1st time WITH people watching :dance:danceice slice:bow

post-1-136713420432_thumb.jpeg

Once the water was topped up we set off again and sailed towards Horning. I did not know that there were so many boats on the Broads. We made it as far as Salhouse broad before turning round and heading back. We moored again at Ludham Bridge as we wanted to go for a meal in the Wayfarers resteraunt next to the bridge that apparently had just reopened that night. I must say that although a little bit more expensive than what we had planned the food was out of this world and definately worth it. We returned to the boat and watched a beautiful sunset together with of course another glass of red cheers

Day 4,

This is the big day. During our time on the Broads the weather had been kind to us but this morning it was gorgeous. We had breakfast and then set sail for Malthouse Broad. Following that we sailed to South Walsham broad before mooring up at Thurne Dyke for lunch. Then we set sail back toward Potter Heigham. As we were cruising along the river Thurne I asked Jill if she would like a glass of champagne to celebrate our first time on the Broads. I poured the champagne and gave Jill her glass and it took a couple of moments before she saw something sparkling in the bottom of her glass. I went down onto one knee and told her that I loved her more than anything in the world. I then asked her to marry me and following a shocked delay I am pleased to say she said yes :dancecheers

post-1-136713420454_thumb.jpeg

We then continued onto Potter Heigham and back through the bridge where we moored for the night. Our engagement meal were the best fish and chips I have ever tasted.

We had a brilliant time on the Broads. It is a most beautiful place and we were treat like royalty by the staff at Whispering Reeds. In fact since returning home we have even received an engagement card through the post from them. How nice is that. We will 100% be coming back and I for one cannot wait.

Congratulations on the engagement and the stern on Mooring, lovely report but I am afraid you have had it now, once the broads bug bites you won't be able to resist going back time and time again.

Heres to the two of you enjoying many more years of happy cruising. cheers

Ian

Guest flanaguff

Fast forward 15 years 6 berth boat maggots every where, fishing lessons. dont go up there without life jacket!, can i drive dad? B lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a brilliant story Shaune and Jill glad you like the Broads you WILL come back i am sure, and you will probably get married and have another holiday here on a boat and you will bring your children and they will love it as well. I first came in 1958 amd now i live here with my wife Olive. :-D :wavecheersbarcheers