Nelsons at Reedham

Boaters

Called into Reedham on our trip last week and noticed how forlorn the place looked.heard that it closed on this weekend ! Could be a great place with the outside seating area and their own mooring and the character of the building ,sno lets hope the pub is not shut too long.

I was always under the impression that it was owned by the Wellington Pub Co but certainly wouldn’t question the veracity of my CAMRA colleagues in Norfolk. I’ve just tried Googling Molyneux Leisure but can’t find anything, maybe I’m missing something?   :???:  I think in any event it must be a free of tie lease.

It will be a shame to see Bill and Ros go as they are a lovely couple. However their health has not been good, Bill in particular. In fact when I last visited in June, Bill had just come out from a spell in hospital. I did like the pub, I know there were issues with Bill’s dog, Nelson, which have been well documented elsewhere. Bill often featured beers from the smaller Norfolk brewers so the pub was something of an oasis in that respect. I would imagine that the folks at the Ship will be watching with interest and possibly a degree of trepidation as I think if the Nelson were run to its full potential it could give the Ship a run for its money, good as the Ship is I hasten to add.

I’m not sure how long Bill and Ros have been there – certainly at least 5 or 6 years I would guess. Certainly Jon Collorick was a previous landlord on 2 separate occasions.

It will be very interesting to see what happens. I’m sure given its location it will be taken up fairly quickly. Watch this space I think!

• 4 months later...

I’ve just seen an advert for the Lord Nelson by the agents Humberstones.

It is just the lease that’s up for sale. As I suspected the pub is owned by Wellington. The 20 year free of tie lease (Wellington don’t sell beer anyway) is up for grabs at under 50k whatever that means.

Amazingly the agents do admit a full refurbishment is needed. Here lies the rub. I have heard from a number of sources that the pub is in a very poor state with a collapsed ceiling in the living accommodation the least of the problems. A proper refurb would cost a fortune, for example I believe the White Horse at Neatishead had 750k spent on it. I very much doubt Wellington would spend a penny on the Lord Nelson. I would dearly love to see the pub open again as I have spent many happy hours in there over the years but it will take a very brave person with deep pockets to take it on. Shame because I like the Ship but it would be nice to have some competition in Reedham.

• Like 2