It's something in the water you know!

I am aware that in some areas there is a "fresh water mussel" problem, also certain algaes form in fresh water. There are similar issues with sea water with barnacles etc.

My question is this...

If sea water kills off the fresh water mussels etc, and fresh water kills off the sea water problems, how long does that process take?

My other question is...

If my boat is normally moored in fresh water, and I moor for 24 hours at the Berney Arms, what would the effect would that have on whatever was growing on my bottom?

My other other question is...

Would this work better than antifoul or should I still treat my bottom to a coat of something?

I'm not sure if anyone has ever put anything on my bottom (one would have thought I'd have known that) but I had just assumed they had at some point. If push comes to shove, I could always have it jet washed, I just wondered if soaking it in sea water would achieve anything.

You are on the money here MM a very knowledgeable owner keeps a yacht on the inland waterways but does two weeks or more annually at sea. He said the kill off time was about a fortnight, and because he does both salt and fresh so regularly, he hasn't needed antifoul for a very long time.