Beam of light

skillyowls

Hi there everyone its great to join such a informative forum. 

Anyway myself and my family have provisionally booked the Herbert woods boat Beam of Light and I was just wondering if anyone has used her before or have any insight into what she is like.  

Many thanks in advance mark.

Thunder is same design as Beam of Light so if you click on the link below you will see the layout etc but i have no idea how BoL is finished inside. I can say its a very versatile layout with the dual steer. Front ensuite is far larger than the rear and the shower off the saloon is rather odd!

Hello Mark,

Welcome to the forum from Tan & myself, Iain has supplied you with the link to the Herbert Woods site with pictures of Beam Of Light.

Is this your first time on the Broads? if it is I suggest you look at the videos on Richardsons website we have links on the forum to view these, if you look under forums/visiting the broads there is a couple listed but you can view more once on their site.

http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/first-timers/#tabs=1

If you have been before they serve as a good refresher.

Regards

Alan

For a boat that sleep 6/7 that does look like a smallish fridge on BoL? Not to sure on the front "double"-Thunder has an insert that extends one of the single beds by about 8 inches, cosy to say the least!

Take clothing appropriate to use the upper helm whatever the weather As stern mooring is almost impossible from the inside unless you slide the roof back and stick your head out.

Hi Matt,

The same can be said for Ranworth Breeze, I have only tried it twice, as yu say you can see nothing, the screen mists up and trying to steer is like something out of the old film "The Cruel Sea" by passing on instructions or maybe in our case more like "The Navy Lark" left hand down a bit it is sir.

Leslie Phillips classic.

Just see that Leslie aged 90 is recovering from a slight stroke.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/carry-star-leslie-phillips-recovering-4097714

Regards

Alan

We hired Beam of Light (or one of her sisters - I think there were 4 of them) when she was in the Broom hire fleet. That was about 14 years ago but the layout doesn't seem to have changed. I thought she was a fantastic boat for the Broads, with a low airdraft for a dual-steer boat and very comfortable accommodation.

All-round vision from the inside steering position is a bit restricted, so I tended to helm from the outside position in all weathers, so suggest you take some good waterproofs - trousers as well as a jacket.

Hi there everyone and thanks for all your great replies and info its much appreciated we have been once this year already on bright light 10 of us on there 2 families on there but this time we are having 2 boats.

We wanted something different to what we usually have this is my 6th time but my future wife has been 10+ times and her uncle who is with us has been gping on broads for over 20 years.

Not long now till the 11th of october really cant wait never thought i would say that having been brought up with holidays in skegness and blackpool.

The Diamond series of aquafibre designs have a pretty poor interior helm position in both lengths. As has been said, with the sliding canopy closed, it is too claustrophobic with it's raised position and uncomfortable for anyone over average height. 

The Diamond 43 is a more practical boat than the 35. Although the galley is part of the companionway, the amount of worktop space makes it very usable unlike the 35.

I am sure you will enjoy Beam of Light overall.

• Like 2

And here I was trying to be diplomatic! Andy is absolutely right about the helm position, although to me it is the only real weakness in the design. Mind you, it is far from the worst I've seen. A while ago we hired a boat from Herbert Woods - Quiet Light, I think - where the view from the internal helm was so restricted that using it was downright dangerous.

We looked over a 35 (Captain) when returning a 43 (Commodore) to Brooms, thinking it might be suitable for us when we were a smaller party. They are good-looking boats but I thought the internal helm was even worse than on the 43 and with no external helm to escape to I would have gone quietly mad inside.

But I believe that at least one forum member owns a 35, so hopefully he'll be along to defend it!

We ended up choosing an Aquafibre Sapphire 32 (Broom Seapilot) for our next trip. Lovely, comfortable boat which handled beautifully but the airdraft meant that we couldn't get everywhere we wanted to go.

Having spent many a week onboard a 43 (which was commodore 4 I believe) if it was stripped bare I would not out the shower back in next to the saloon and remove the internal helm and have a fantastic front cabin and en-suite. I would then put a canopy on the upper helm. I guess this would stop us getting under Wroxham bridge (potter has always been very unlikely anyway) and I can count the amount of times we have used the internal helm on one hand.