Old Beccles

AdnamsGirl

Hi Samuel,

"At a rough guess as you are not a full member yet (over 50 posts) it is possibly the reason you cannot perform that action, sorry I cannot be more helpful."

Thanks Iain. Oddly though I have managed to have pm conversations in the past. How, I don't know!

• 4 weeks later...

_578.jpg

For generations Beccles, like Norwich, was a sea-port. Indeed up until the 1960's a Thames barge used to visit the town, presumably for agricultural produce. With this in mind, when the new bypass bridge was built, an agreement was drawn up to provide a mooring for trading craft next to the bridge. Whilst the agreement is remembered by some its existence has yet to be established. 

JM,

The one thing I remember about Beccles in my early years of holidaying was, the queues of craft from Rowancraft,Poolcraft and Hippersons waiting for the tide to fall at the Old Bridge.

We had been waiting to top up fuel at Astons, but it was the "afternoon tea break" ALL 45 minutes of it! :naughty:

Once through that bridge, its one of my favourite parts of the Broads.

cheers Iain.

JM,

The one thing I remember about Beccles in my early years of holidaying was, the queues of craft from Rowancraft,Poolcraft and Hippersons waiting for the tide to fall at the Old Bridge.

We had been waiting to top up fuel at Astons, but it was the "afternoon tea break" ALL 45 minutes of it! :naughty:

Once through that bridge, its one of my favourite parts of the Broads.

cheers Iain.

I remember it well. All those years past. And do you know, very little has changed. To travel through Beccles to Geldeston lock even to this day, is going back in time. What you see, that which you experience, was appreciated by many before us.

Old Wussername

• Like 2

JM

I do hope that the members bare with us whilst us old curmudgeons reminisce. The former I certainly relate too.

You may remember the latter.☺

Today, the only change is that on the voyage to the lock, having passed Beccles, prior to the arrival, the wherry has to lower it's mast.

Why?

Because of the power lines, which it passes underneath. Not that it would touch the lines, but it is deemed by those who understand these matters, to be to close.

That is the only consideration or requirement to our modern world that is I suspect the only change that has been made for generations.

Old Wussername

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This time a vintage snap of the original Beccles swimming pool.

Beccles%20The%20Bathing%20Place.jpg

The interesting boat on the left possibly worked off a local beach, probably for one of the 'beach companies'. Quite likely she would have taken pilots out to shipping, or been involved in rescues or salvage, a forerunner of the modern lifeboat.