Best for the Broads?

LadyPatricia

CraftInsure will also insure on that very same basis.

They must have changed their conditions in the last 4 years then.

I was with them for 6 years before that with a 27ft boat, and they wouldn't budge on their insistence of another out of the water survey , even though I had one when I joined them.

.....  as you like 23ft Strow do I take it your a Freeman man??.....

............I know a lot of people are wary of Edward William but I've been with them for years, had a couple of claims and they paid out without question, and as you point out they don't need a survey, I certainly have no problem using them,,.....

I don't mean to cast any aspersions on Edward William, I've never used them myself, and I've only heard good feedback about them.  It's just that I prefer to not lose the additional security of a British Insurance firm.

There's some  interesting threads on the YBW forums, like this one:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?238922-Edward-William-insurance-anyone

.....where they quote "Edward William Marine Services SL is a Spanish Registered Insurance Agent and as such is not authorised or Regulated by the UK Financial Services Association and is not covered for compensation under the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)"

No Frank, I'm not a Freeman owner myself, but I have viewed several in the past and was very tempted.  The early ones especially were very nicely made, with lots of varnished wood interior, and true displacement hulls with a very heavy/strong layup.

I suspect that since the BSS came in, most insurance companies may have rethought this policy, though not necessarily immediately.

I'm not sure about that MM.

True, it does give the insurer more security against risks from electrics, fuel, gas installations etc., but the main reason for an out of the water survey is hull integrity and underwater gear, which is not tested or examined under the BSS scheme at all.

Trying to save money by not having a regular survey could be a false econony. I had a pre-purchase survey done on my boat. Nothing major found. Five years later, the insurance survey found the grub screws holding the cutlass bearing in position had disappeared, the cutlass bearing was loose and resting on the back of the propellor and there was evidence of galvanic corrosion on the plate holding the lower pintle bush. The survey (+ lift in and out) was substantially less than £500, and was very thorough.

I attribute the galvanic corrosion to the fairly recent introduction at my moorings of shore power, to which I connected my boat. I've since fitted a galvanic isolator, which, I'm told, is now a compulsory fit for all new 240v systems.

However, I've also found that Saga will insure a boat that is less than 31 years old, without a survey, and they will not, thereafter, ask for one while you remain with them.

Paladine, you have a point there, I'm starting to waiver on the subject. :)

I was forgetting that my current boat has an outdrive, so I slip it every two years to change the bellows and anodes myself.

It's just that I didn't like to be forced by the insurance company to have a survey.

(and I always fit galvanic isolators to my boats, I'd seen the horror photos of badly affected craft without them, and I worry about such things :) )

I attribute the galvanic corrosion to the fairly recent introduction at my moorings of shore power, to which I connected my boat. I've since fitted a galvanic isolator, which, I'm told, is now a compulsory fit for all new 240v systems.

Maybe a subject for another thread but I have seen some horrific corrosion to the underwater parts of outboards that their owners have left in the 'down' position whilst moored in marinas.

Maybe a subject for another thread but I have seen some horrific corrosion to the underwater parts of outboards that their owners have left in the 'down' position whilst moored in marinas.

I have no option but to take the correct precautions of appropriate anodes and a galvanic isolator.

My aluminium outdrive, like most of them is not designed to lift out of the water, even when at full tilt.

Thankfully though, those precautions have proved perfectly adequate, with no signs of corrosion to the leg at all. :)

post-195-0-72775800-1410986690_thumb.jpg

Lord Paul recently sold his Freeman 23 after many years of happy cruising. That had a petrol-engine, Ford Watermota if memory serves. Considering that Paul did hundreds of miles in that boat (the engine sometimes didn't have time to get cold), I don't think the type of fuel posed a great problem for him. Petrol engines do need a little more attention than diesels in general but, the rewards are worth the effort IMHO. Petrol boats are usually lovely and quiet too...it's just a pity that the Broads infrastructure doesn't afford them a little more support.

Guess I'll just have to continue 'glagging' along with two 'mature' Penta MD40A Leviathans... :cool:

.....Petrol engines do need a little more attention than diesels in general but, the rewards are worth the effort IMHO. Petrol boats are usually lovely and quiet too.......

I'm a great fan of diesel engines in cars, especially the pre-electronic ones.

Very simply constructed, with just the very precisely made mechanical injection pump to handle all of the injection and firing.

I'm not so sure with most modern diesels now though, (marine or car), they have the same hugely expensive "black box" ECU chips and electronics as modern petrol engines.

A friend of mine once said that the beauty of a diesel engine was that as long as you gave it clean fuel and you could turn it over, it had no option but to start.

That's far from the case now though...

A boat, moored next to us until recently, had twin Volvo Penta D6 engines on shaft drive and, even though they had less than 40 hours on them, these hi-tech beauties had to be 'flashed' with the latest software before they'd function correctly so yes, modern diesels do need more tinkering...my error for not qualifying my statement.

Our 32 year-old normally-aspirated lumps though just need regular servicing, fuel, cooling water and enough 'thrutch' in the batteries to turn the huge monsters over. The only electronics anywhere near them are in the 'smart' battery charger. :smile: