Quite a high tide on Monday

Baitrunner

Sunday night we were moored at Cantley (yes the only ones) and woke up early Monday morning to find the tide was pretty high.

Wasn't as high on Sunday evening and I think we are still a few days away from a Spring tide so guess it might creep up again. Hopefully not as bad a few weeks ago though.

Not the best pictures I am afraid, but you can see it wasn't far off the top of the moorings - and it was a very grey morning.

post-30810-0-41740700-1415101050_thumb.j

post-30810-0-83246500-1415101059_thumb.j

• Like 2

When we came across Breydon bridge yesterday just about 1 ish the tide was still rushing out and yet you could see it was an exceptionally low tide.              Are exceptionally low tides followed by exceptionally high tides?

It depends on what caused the exceptionally high tide.

If it was due to the normal monthly Spring/Neap cycle, coupled with the seasonal equinox cycle, then yes, the lows will be equally exceptional, because the gravitational effect from the Sun and Moon combined will lower the water as much as it pulled it up.

However, when  the extreme high tides are due to North Sea wind direction and low barometric pressure, (which is more often the case), then no, the lows will stay high as well, because the sea level has been pulled up by those other factors, rather than just the 12 hour cycling gravitational pull.

The best way to see what's happening at any particular time is to look at the real-time tide gauge at Lowestoft. The shows a graph of predicted against actual, and the sine waves show the depth of the troughs and peaks.

http://www.ntslf.org/data/realtime?port=Lowestoft

Hylander, the spring tides normally see the highest and lowest water levels. So yes highs and lows do go together. Normally around the full moon.

At the weekend going through the new cut there was less than 2ft of water under the boat and the tide was still ebbing. Hopefully once they dredge it this week it will improve things.

Interesting to see Broadland Mercury, we have hired this for next September

David

We found Broadland Mercury to be a "you get what you pay for" boat. Nothing spectacular but it was ideal for us and everything we needed. This was 5 years ago however.

We found Broadland Mercury to be a "you get what you pay for" boat. Nothing spectacular but it was ideal for us and everything we needed. This was 5 years ago however.

Hi Jim

This is what we'd expect really ....September is our second week, we've booked Silver Elegance for April so its a case of being on the broads again, we had a Magic Gem this September which is cheap and cheerful as well but like you say it suited our needs

David

Hi David,

one final point, the 'double cabins' on Mercury are very tight. I was ok as I had the forward one to myself. The couple who should have been sleeping in the aft cabin decided to use the settee double instead.

This a question to Mr Clive Ricko, just WHY are many of the double berths so narrow? Or is it as the years have passed folks today are bigger boned? I know I have struggled in a so called double and ended up sleeping in the saloon berth.

cheers Iain.

This a question to Mr Clive Ricko, just WHY are many of the double berths so narrow? Or is it as the years have passed folks today are bigger boned? I know I have struggled in a so called double and ended up sleeping in the saloon berth.

cheers Iain.

I completely agree. To the point where it's almost false advertising. I think the 'double' cabins in the older boats should be advertised as singles.

Thanks Jim

We should be ok, theres just myself, brother and 83 year old mum.

I usually go for the fold out bed.

We are used to camping as well as boating so the height of luxury isn't really important to us as long as its clean and dry (and Richardsons usually are) we will be happy.........and if it's not we will still be happy because we'll be on the broads

cheersbar. David

• Like 2

Lots of four berthers have been converted to luxury twos. As for narrow doubles, whoopee, holiday fun, fun, fun!

I do know of one Broads yard with older boats who has real problems with 'large boned' people. I suppose that such boats could be advertised as 'not suitable for displacement disadvantaged people'. 

• Like 1

Tuesday was VERY High Tide at WRC, with river coming just over sides of mooring! Made for a awkward step off for the Mrs but after down with the step and all ok! Rest of the week tides have been lower so must of been Spring tides and coinciding with the Full Moon.