Coltishall Lock to Geldeston Lock

MauriceMynah

I love being active on the boat and getting miles in within reason, so I'm with you Robin on that one. I did Thorpe to Acle on a very wet day in late May and that was marathon enough for me though, albeit I'd have enjoyed it much more in sunshine.

What I'm struggling to understand on the Coltishall to Geldeston/Norwich section is, how can I put this in the nicest possible way, what would the point of it be?

What's the point?

Yes, fair question, and no really meaningful answer.

The idea sort of grew from a succession of rhetorical questions I was asking myself whilst mulling over a beer or six.

I wondered what the maximum distance was (using the shortest route possible) between two places on the broads.

According to the information available to me at the time, it was Coltishall lock to Geldeston lock. I wondered (like you do) how long it would take and if it was doable in a day. The answer to that was "That depends!"

As soon as it became  questionable depending on daylight and tides, it started to become more of a challenge, with the "because it's there" kind of justification.

And there it sat, quietly fermenting in the back of my mind until now.

Then I considered the possibility of being just a tad more constructive, and doing it for charity. For this to work I'm going to have to put a couple more hurdles in the way. Not sure what they will be yet.

I need the challenge to be doable but not having success as a forgone conclusion. Probable yes, inevitable no!

Any suggestions welcome!

• Like 1

" quietly fermenting in the back of my mind until now."

Is that the beer or six Maurice....... :naughty:

One way to overcome the hurdle of the longest journey is to go over

Breydon towards Reedham and then come back down the New Cut!

Work out your estimated fuel usage for the trip and make sure that

is all that's in your tank  :shocked

That way you have to make use of the tides to give the best possible

chance of succeeding and also set a time limit too  :dance

Is that enough for you to go on for now  :rolleyes:

I often do Beccles to Wroxham in one shot and it usually takes me around 8.hrs.

Like it Mauricemynah. When I asked what the point was, I kind of thought of the 'because its there' answer.

I like the charity idea. I can visualise a charity event where, assuming a boat with navigation lights, you could have a team completing the entire navigable Broads in one hit. To do the job properly you'd have to cruise down every navigable dyke as well. How many miles and how many hours would that be?