Coltishall Lock to Geldeston Lock

MauriceMynah

Coltishall lock to Geldeston lock, I reckoned 14 hours if the tides were right.

I left at 8am from Coltishall Green and it took me till just after 6pm. But that was 1980 and speed restrictions were not the same then. I did it on a Porter & Haylett boat Ritaline1. That boat was not heavily governed as the bow raised when you gave it a bit of welly.

I do remember the ebb being fast that day. It was early April. So yes, I would say today MMs times are about right.

cheers Iain.

There is room for how many boats at Gelderston (The Locks)?

How many boats can we moor at Horsted?

For the light factor, shall we say within 14 days either side of the longest day (but not the first weekend one side or the other, as I wouldn't wish to clash with the other event that occurs then). Are tide tables available yet?

If this does get off the ground as a charity event, I would like to do this as a fund raiser for MTB 102.

(well they did fly the forum flag ! :)  )

Any suggestions or advice most welcome

I don't think it will be a doddle somehow Peter, Coltishall is further than Hickling and Gelderston is further than Oulton Broad.

Finally, sorry JimG I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Hi MM,

Started a new thread rather than disrupt Jim's. 

I have not been down to the Locks Inn for a wee while, but would guess Griff would have a fair idea how many boats can be moored down there. These are the tide tables for 2015.

http://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/2015-tide-time-table.pdf 

cheers Iain.

A great idea to c in c for charity but please remember that the approach to the 'locks' is governed by the Beccles town bridge which is low and will restrict some craft that might have wanted to join in.  Regards Alan.  cheersbar  :wave

I have to say I rather relish the longer cruises now – having just spent a short break on the Northern Rivers, I found myself frustrated at the lack of actual time at the wheel – albeit that the days have become shorter now so one could naturally not cruise for as long.

Back in July, after leaving Womack Water and arriving in Beccles some 8 or so hours later (if memory serves) when on Brinks Royale, I was not feeling fatigued – but was thankful I had a boat with a comfy helm to spend all that time sat. I could have gone on longer for I had plenty of day light but a boat that alas was too high to pass under the old bridge.

The only issue I had was the fuel burn despite taking things easy and much of the way ging with the tide and then being slack that boat sure got through a lot of the red stuff in the week (144 litres in total).

I personally prefer doing something, going somewhere than being tied up going nowhere.

In Sept after 7 years we got under Wroxham and up to Coltishal then took a slow trip up as far as the fork in the river. At this point wasn't sure which way or how far I could get so is it the right fork and how far? It was bad with weed and didn't fancy meeting another so spun round at that point, Sorry but had to wave at the guy hiding round corner of the house watching me think he thought I was going to moor up.

Best bit of rivers above the bridge and hope to get under again in April.

Count me in MM for a C in C, might be begging a lift if RT is not ready to rumble. We did Salhouse to Beccles and back again over two days on board Glittering Light a few years back...steering from the flybridge in a 48 hr deluge...never been so tired, wet and happy in all my born days! 

• Like 2

I've done this before, travelling with the tide and within the speed limits it's about 6.5 hours from Coltishall Lock to The "Yellow Post" and 5 hours from there to Shipmeadow Lock at Geldeston. North to south is easiest, after passing Gt Yarmouth you can use the almost unbroken 6mph speed limit to Beccles to chase the low tide upriver, and you will need to do so as clearance at Beccles drops very quickly once the tide has turned. It's doable, but not easy and you need to have the right boat, very low airdraft due to bridge clearances.

Sat 27 Jun 2015 would be an ideal day as an example, 12:40 low at GY, longest day almost and a neap tide so your highs will not be so high as usual. Ideally I would pass at 14:00 (a little after slack going south) which means leaving Coltishall at 7:30 but the need to clear Beccles would push me a little earlier. Trouble is if you hit the end of the Ebb tide on the Waveney you'll be pushing against it up to St Olaves at least, before it turns.

Bridge clearances are your biggest threat, passing Wroxham around 8:30 will mean close to high tide and whilst there isn't the same rise and fall as at Beccles high tide at Wroxham will stop most boats. You could leave at first light, around 4:30 then stop for breakfast below the bridge waiting for the tide to turn, that will give you a few vital inches.

Beccles is as bad, if you took the ideal 14:00 round the post at Breydon then it's 18:00 or just after at Beccles, 2 hours after low water. Beccles has an 80 / 20 rule on clearance, 80% of the clearance is lost during the first 20% of the flood. So if the flood runs for 5 hours you lose most of the clearance under the bridge in the first hour.

You'll need a boat with an air draft of 6'6 I guess, and which will pass under Wroxham without the need for a pilot. They don't like being disturbed at 6am!

• Like 1

Can someone please confirm that I have picked the longest trip from head of navigation to head of navigation as there seems to be some conflicting information here.

The BA tide table says Coltishall to Geldestone is longer than Coltishall to Norwich. Other guides imply/state that it's the other way round. Which is right?

According to my Jarrolds guide GY to Norwich is 27.5 and GY to Beccles is 22.5

I think Geldeston is about 3 miles further so I would agree Norwich would seem to have it by a short head. Bear in mind also that the head of navigation is technically New Mills rather than the Yacht Station.