North Walsham & Dilham Canal

GeoffandWendy

Just a clarification from living locally, and being very in the know about this particular scenario.

If Luke Paterson had his way (this was a few years ago so he could have had a change of heart) would have gates across his section of the canal, restricting or stopping use entirely. 

Luke is also brother to Joe, who owns Anglian plant, so he could probably achieve what needs to be done for a lot less cost than perhaps it would other section owners. 

Don't get me wrong, Luke is a nice man however, I would strongly urge anyone looking to help the revival of the canal to look towards Laurie or the canal trust if they are looking to volunteer.

• Thanks 1

We have a work party needed at Dilham Staithe Cut very soon. It being your part of the world, I wondered if anybody would like to join in? If so, please give Ivan a ring on 01328 862 435.

It's one of those things which has become urgent, what with plant growth from spring onwards and so many of us are tied up with Ebridge lock top gates installation that we are feeling just a teeny bit stretched.

Graham

50 minutes ago, GrahamP said:

We have a work party needed at Dilham Staithe Cut very soon. It being your part of the world, I wondered if anybody would like to join in? If so, please give Ivan a ring on 01328 862 435.

It's one of those things which has become urgent, what with plant growth from spring onwards and so many of us are tied up with Ebridge lock top gates installation that we are feeling just a teeny bit stretched.

Graham

Hi Graham,

We live 250 miles away in Dorset, but will be on Lightning from the 29th for one week, is it happening then?.

30 minutes ago, GrahamP said:

That's why I asked to phone Ivan, because I don't know exactly. It is likely to be one Sunday. Maybe next maybe one of the two to follow. So sorry!

No need to apollogise, we know you guys and girls a re very busy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 27/05/2019 at 13:10, BroadAmbition said:

There are four present owners of the actual canal from Wayford through to Antingham.  Yes they do own the actual canal between them.  Bank side ownership is not an issue on navigation of the canal itself.  There are two big obstructions to getting the waterway operational, one of which is one of the canal owners whom I'm not going to name.  The other being funding of course

The lower section is owned by Luke Pattinson.  An act of parliament in 1812 gives him the right to ask for a toll to be used on maintenance.  He is sympathetic to maintaining the waterway as a navigation but its expensive.  He actively encourages canoes / dinghies to use the section of the waterway up to Honing lock. He charges a voluntary toll of just £4:00 and seeing as it's a couple of hours paddling there / back it works out at just £2 per Hr.   I would suggest if you do use the waterway - Stick more than £4 in the box! All monies raised he uses on maintaining the waterway. There is an honesty box by the jetty at Tonnage bridge.  If that honesty box was to start generating more income then Luke may be able to spend more on tree clearance and the like.  The issue with  hire company is that they discourage their customers paying the voluntary toll.  This has resulted in Luke being non to welcoming with craft from that yard - To me that is wholly understandable.  A machine for the day - Just the machine costs £350 then on top of that there is men, tools, reducing down the offcut material, stacking / drying / burning etc.  That needs a lot of £4 donations!

Not mentioning any business names here please peeps as that may lead to legal difficulties.

Luke has a glamping / camping site near to the banks of the waterway on his land, he encourages clients to use dinghies / canoes to use the waterway

I am informed that the waterway is navigable to just past Tonnage bridge.  However this is at your own risk and you must proceed very slowly / cautiously. Just north of Tonnage bridge is a large tree which is causing an obstruction.  However  dinghies / canoes should manage without difficulty.  Some above and underwater obstructions near to the banks have already been cleared

Griff

I have heard that some people get shouted at for canoeing somewhere along this point of the canal as it is private land....?

Are these the folk that should be paying £4? I'd happily pay, but don't wish to be shouted at ....  Is it obvious, where or how you pay, or this rumour likely to be related to different part of the canal?

• 3 years later...
On 27/05/2019 at 22:33, GrahamP said:

Interesting - I have seen that this thread has been dormant for a few years but this, along with another lost waterway (Which is within the tolled area) have the same issues - most notably around Dillham Mill where you will be heftily shouted at that it is private...

Having recently canoed on the section between Ebridge and Bacton Wood, I am impressed how serene it is - but again, I didn't half get scowled at by one of the house (owners?) near the end - with lack of use, I suppose, comes a sense of ownership, however, it would be really lovely to see the efforts redoubled to engage with some of the land owners again and bring this wonderful area back to life.