Nice looking Woody on eBay

Teak planking .... doesn't get much better than that.

I was worried I might be the only one with a teak fetish... :)

Here's the inside view of the same boat.

post-195-0-32091100-1426938973_thumb.jpg

She does look very nice, at least from the pictures.

If you're going to go for a traditional wooden boat, then teak is definitely the wood to look for. It's always been the best, but most expensive wood to use, so is a sign of top quality construction. It's also far more rot resistant than most woods used for boatbuilding (Iroko aka African Mahogany comes close, but is hell to work with due to the interlocked grain and interstitial silica. It can also have interesting interactions with oak if the two woods are used together).

Is she worth £22.5k? Well, if she's in as good condition as she looks, and somebody is prepared to buy her for that price, then she is. Certainly building a replica using the same materials would be close to impossible, and if it were possible then you wouldn't get much if any change out of £100k. Possibly the biggest downside I can see to her (and some people would look upon it as a feature) is the original Stuart Turner engine. Personally if I had a boat like this and money were no object, then a sympathetic re-engine to a small modern diesel would be high on my wish-list, but that's just me.

• Like 1

I`ve often had  the thought of a timber version of an Aquafibre 38 lowliner, with a white painted hull, and varnished upperworks and white coachroof. The perfect Broads boat made from the perfect materials, with the perfect colour scheme................................if you can afford the outlandish cost that is?.