Whoops.. turn left for Somerleyton

JawsOrca

Sadly this can happen anywhere, where the boat is laying is where we normally turn around doing an elongated circle waiting for the bridge to open.

At the other side of the bridge is a floating pontoon for demasting/mooring, the current there is very strong so crews mooring up need to do it swiftly or they could be stranded.

I hope they manage to recover the boat safely.

Regards

Alan

Oh dear someone's holiday mucked up again and I would think through no fault of their own, just plain bad luck in those dreadful winds.      The Southern Broads can be quite unforgiving at times.    Hence the need to always wear a life jacket at all times.

• Like 3

The trouble is when you only have a week for your holiday, you feel you are wasting it staying at a mooring longer than you should.    I can understand it.    May be they were thinking if we could get to the shelter of Oulton Broad YS then we will be safe.     I try and put myself in other peoples shoes at times and I really feel for the occupants.

It could so easily have happened at St Olaves Bridge or anywhere along there,   the area is so open and you literatlly have gusts coming at you from miles away and nothing to ease the situation whatsoever.     May be someone will let us know how these people are.

Reading elsewhere someone had posted that 3 days ago they had tried in vain the get the bridge operators attention but had to ring or radio Reedham Bridge to get Somerleyton Bridge to swing for them.      I noticed that the yacht that has been on utube , a year on the broads I think it is, he called Somerleyton Bridge several times before he got an answer but in all fairness when he did , the operator knowing the train had not long gone over , swung the bridge immediately.   So may be again, thinking of other folk, he may have had an emergency phone call all something else that held him up for a few moments.

Hello Monica,

That was Bisuiteer, who was giving a report on their holiday on the Northern & Southern Broads.

Here is the topic:-

Reedham & Somerleyton Bridges work as a pair of bridge because of the short distance between them in rail miles.

They will not open if a train is due at either location.

Regards

Alan

Hello all, we did indeed have a lot of trouble at the Somerleyton bridge a few days ago. We are lucky to have a very experienced skipper and the wind wasn't quite at its strongest but I saw how tricky it is to drive in circles. We were there for well over 30 minutes.

It was no surprise to us that a day or so later we saw a boat had encountered difficulties. Thankfully everybody got off safety

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some of these big boats have high, slab sided hulls that catch the wind and unless the helmsman is prepared to give the engine some wellie to kick the stern round and the bow into the wind then the wind will win. The other problem is the 'stay on the right side of the channel' advice which means that a boat might already be against the shore that the wind is blowing onto rather than nearer the shore from where the wind is blowing from meaning that if the wind gusts then the boat will blow against the nearby reeds rather than out into open water. I'm guessing that the boat in question was waiting for the bridge to open therefore was turning in the river. Better to have nosed up to the shore from where the wind was blowing, nudged into the reeds and waited for the bridge to open. Bridge opens, reverse away from the reeds, with help of the wind, hard ahead and head for the bridge opening, simples. I watched a boat the other day on Oulton Broad turn to cross the high wind. As the boat turned the skipper powered off rather than on and the wind caught the bow, turning the boat back away from the wind. For a fraction I thought she was going to be blown against the jetty at the Wherry but thankfully the wind dropped and she came round into the wind and back on course, just in the nick of time.