cruiser

Guest sirdar

Hi Sirdar

You have a great knowledge and some super photos, where was the photo of the planet class taken and when, I had forgotten what a pretty boat they were, having not seen one for so long.

My Uncle Gerald Sketch had Wayford Marine for some years, I think his partner was a fellow called Starksfield, or something like that, I am fairly sure he was the foreman at H. C. Banham in Horning, they might have met during his hiring days.

My father in 1945 hired Speedwell the only yacht he ever hired, probably no petrol in 1945. I think that was a Banham boat was it not ?

Landamores. Now I don't have your kind of fact retention but I am hoping to see Lesley Landamores sister again in the summer and have another chat with her. I will post again in a short while with some history. Meanwhile below should be the Banham front circa 1965 and Speedwell from 1945

post-133-136713481663_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713481917_thumb.jpg

Hi mat of Perfect Lady.

Thanks for the pic os Smuggler. She must be ex Sirdar 1/2/3/. 1 to 3 had individual bright trim around each window whereas 4-5 had long strips bright work circling all windows. Nice pic your friends were very lucky

Regards Sirdar

Hello Springsong

The Venus pic was on the Thames. I tracked her down last year. bit of a sad story really. She has been on and off the Broads twice. Privatly owned on the Cam/ Great Ouse and then sold to a gent who kept her near Bray on the Thames. Last year she was put up for sale cant remember the exact price but seem to think about 25-30k. Couple of months later she was offered through the same brokerage for £3k as a project. When I contacted the yard was told she needed 20-30k planking below waterline. I would guess a prospective buyers surveyor had uncovered some horrors. I was savagley tempted but sanity struck. Ill attach some interior shots of venus below

When you see you Landamore friend ask her to tell you the story about their cruiser that was stolen and recovered. You might already know about it ?Regards Sirdar

Hi Broadlander 3

Yep couldnt agree more. Wood remains a living thing while GRP is a chemical reaction. Oh God thats bound to upset loads of people.... In my defence I did own a Senior before I saw the light. And, and I think Im going to regret saying this, in a previous career I used to manufacture ladies shop window mannequins from fibre glass. So I do know a bit about GRP. Although after years of intensive therapy Im nearly better now!! There is something "right" about wood. It does need work and expense but run your hand across it and it feels and certainly smells better than GRP. Have attached another shot of Venus interior for you. And have a look at the other pic. Bet you know what that is.

Regards Sirdar[attachment=1]Spruce%20Goose-1.jpg[/attachment]

Hi Sirdar...

Yes she's a Newson...Ex S303 TOPAZ...although the aft cabin sides look different to what I remember...shorter???

Where has that shot been taken please?...Not recognisable to me :?

I can't believe what you say about VENUS..,those pics are stunning and to be up for sale at 3k beggars belief :o ...She must have been suffering terribly underneath...Do you know if she was saved?.. Be such a shame if she now resides in that BOATYARD UNDER THE WATER :cry

All the Best...Terry

Hi Terry

Yep you right again. She is Newsons old Topaz. Well Spotted. She also is doning missionary work on the thames.Well done.

And Vetchugger have to agree the Collins boats were a good match of materials . Had a great holiday on Shining Emblem 2 in 1973.... And as if by magic.......

Regards Sirdar

Hi Terry forgot to say:-

Venus would have to have been pretty bad to need minimum of £20k work. I did think hard as she would be a cracker when done but that was just to much. She is on the hard at the brokers still looking for a home

cheers Sirdar

Hi all

I cannot believe how a classic piece of history such as Venus could be left to fester like that.

It just shows the need for coming out of the water at least every other year, if only to check the underside.

Sirdar and Broadlander your knowledge is just aweinspiring I am just so jealous of your memory retension. :bow

Hi Neilb

Topaz was taking part in some Thames classic boat event . Thats why I feel she is on missionary work down there. Showing them what a classic boat should be. Not just all Martinis and flawlesss. She has a bit of patina to show her experience and vintage. Collins yard had a historic pedigree thats hard to beat and boats like the Emblems were a brilliant match old craftmanship and sensible use of GRP for hire fleet craft. Their lines are beautiful.

Springsong

thanks for the comment. Ask me my NIC number... No chance. Doctors phone number.....forget it.......collar size, er tight or loose!............ My better half says I have a Michael Caine " Did you Know, and not a lot of people know this" memory.

Venus above the waterline looks fantastic. She was built in 1933 and I think is the last of a class of six planets built by Banhams. As the inside shots show she is beautiful and I just hope someone on the Thames with the money picks her up sees what she is and saves her.

Regards Sirdar

Hi Braodlander.

This pic is not one of mine but can you spot what she is. No cheeting and using digital enhancment or Sherlock Holmes Glass. I wonder.

Regards Sirdar

Talking of escapees from the Broads sometime in the nineties I went to a Thames vintage boat rallye, I think if I recall on the meadows near to Henley. There were of course plenty of Starcraft in attendance, but also Tonga which I remember on the Broads in my youth and another Broom Commander Breydon Goose, back then both in pristine as new condition. Also in attendance were two Windboats of the Merrywind size. I was lucky enough to go aboard L'Orage John Bolster's "little Ship" and have tea with him and his lovely wife, an experience, bless them both two stunning people.

MMMMM you two are both spot on. Very good. Ondine Collins Pleasurecraft. Im going to have to dig deep into my pics I think to catch you out!

Regards Sirdar

Hi Terry.

Well thats just cost me a hot dog and beer at Salhouse I suppose!! Very well done . Think I might have to get a bit devious to catch you out. You really know your onions and your geo smiths.

Meant to ask you as a student of broads boatyards. Was there a connection between Dawncraft Wroxham and the Dawncraft fleet that appeared for one year only at Horning. There didnt seem to be any links between the two fleets in terms of boats operated etc. We used to grab a late week every year on September Dawn from DC Wroxham.

Regards Sirdar